starting strength gym

Thread: Aortic valve regurgitation client

Default Aortic valve regurgitation client

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a client who has aortic valve regurgitation (leak), or so he was told some time ago. He was told he is going to need a surgery but he said he is going to wait for medicide to come up with some new way of fixing it. My question is has anyone here had a client with this kind of problem? How does training affect person with this condition? He told me abot this after 5 weeks of training and he is making great progress and does not experience any problems or complications, he is in his 50's. Thanks.

Sounds like he might be in the market for a valve replacement (probably) or a valve repair (maybe). Both require cracking him open - not a minor deal. A valve replacement comes with all sorts of long-term fun as well.

If what he says is true and accurate, then it must not be so severe that they are opposed to monitoring him and delaying the surgery. The fact that he doesn't have any symptoms is something he should share with his doctor. Maybe it is a minor deal and they'll be happy he is getting in shape. We don't know <----- that's the problem

I'm not a doctor or strength coach. This guy just doesn't seem to know what he's doing and a quick conversation with his cardiologist would clear the air very quickly. He could call them and get this answered pretty quickly.

If they come up with a minimally invasive aortic valve replacement with all the pros of a mechanical and pig valve with none of the cons of either, then sign me up too. Otherwise, I'd be making informed decisions about what risks I take if I was him. Going off how you feel is best left to teenagers.

I had my aortic valve replaced in 2002 at age 57. It was really leaky, though, and starting to seriously interfere with my life. A little leakage isn't a big deal, IME; it just means your heart is a little less efficient pumping blood. As far as I know, exercise isn't going to make anything worse, unless there is a pretty specific structural problem, but he can ask his cardio.

I got a mechanical valve, and so far no problems. The surgery is a little scary to contemplate, but recovery is comparatively easy. I was home taking care of myself on day 4 after the surgery, and out walking the neighborhood the day after that. Very little discomfort compared to other things in my life. I was starting to run in a month or so, and have been lifting at a fairly decent level for my age and size for quite some time. I have to take rat poison (coumadin) to prevent blood clots, but apart from monthly blood tests, no big deal. I continue to work with very sharp tools every day.

If I were in your client's position, I would continue to work out and monitor the amount of leakage at whatever interval the cardiologist suggests. The stonger you are, the quicker you recover. The docs made specific mention that the fact that I was active and in decent shape made everything easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    rat poison (coumadin).
    No Vitamin K for you!

Great story, very valuable for those searching the forums looking for a role model after such a major event.

My mom (76) was just cracked open for a tricuspid valve replacement. Relevant to this discussion b/c during all our research prior, we found out that transcatheter aortic valve replacements are becoming more and more common in lieu of cracking open the chest.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    My mom (76) was just cracked open for a tricuspid valve replacement. Relevant to this discussion b/c during all our research prior, we found out that transcatheter aortic valve replacements are becoming more and more common in lieu of cracking open the chest.
    I think that if I were to do it all over again in my 50s, I'd still go for open chest. Honestly, it wasn't even in the top 5 worst things I've had to deal with in my life, and it might not even be in the top 10 -- and I haven't had that hard a life. Even now, at 71 and pretty healthy, I'd still opt for the open chest, because they can see what they're doing, and do a clean job, and I intend to stay active until I just can't any more. If I were 85 and frail, I might choose a transcatheter approach because I think you're trading less overall insult to the body for a less durable repair. But then, what do I know. Hope I don't have to deal with it.