starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery from hernia (inguinal) surgery.

Default Recovery from hernia (inguinal) surgery.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think the nurse was impressed that, 1) I could move myself on the gurney after surgery, and 2) I wasn't demanding pain medicine. Probably not the experience they have with most 61 (soon to be 62) year olds.

I posted this in my log but decided to also put it here because I am in this demographic (I refuse to use the "E" or "G" words). Ongoing posts about my recovery will be in my log if anyone is interested.

>>>>>

Had laparoscopic (TEP) inguinal hernia repair yesterday. It had been discussed with the surgeon, and approved by the insurance, that if he found one on the other (left) side when he was in there with the scope that it would patched too. He found one on the left and repaired it too.

Was wheeled from the pre-op area to the OR at about 12:30pm. The midazolam they injected into my IV made for a wild ride down the hospital corridors, almost worth the price of admission. The last thing I remember is being moved from the gurney to the operating table; woke up about 1:30pm in the recovery room. (Was home by 3:30pm.)

Nurse asked me, "Do you need anything for pain?" I replied that I did not as I was only sore sort of like I did too many situps. Then she asked if I would like to scoot back because my feet were off the end of the gurney. I said, "Yes", and she turned to get some help. At the same time, I grabbed the rails and scooted myself back. She looked at me and gasped, "He's moving himself." Then she asked me again if I needed anything for pain. I replied that I did not again and asked, "Why, should I, are people in a lot of pain after this type of surgery?" She looked at me and said, "Usually the ones in better shape don't have as much pain."

So far I have only needed acetaminophen (paracetamol for the those in the UK). Pain has been very mild.

Squatting prior to this has made me able to get out of chairs and bed using only my leg power and without thrashing around, which most certainly helps.

Not even 24hr yet; after 48 I can start ramping up my activity levels.

If anyone has questions about this type of procedure and my experiences, feel free to post here or to PM me.

CULICAN's LOG

Back in the gym today and did bench presses, chins, and some dumbbell exercises. Ten days post-op. Not far from where I left off. I did go in with a no grinding rule because I didn't think that would be a good idea at this stage.

Even chins, which some have trouble with post hernia repair due to tightness in the lower abs, were fine.

No pain, just a little tugging sensation now and then. It was very good mentally to be back, even if I set no PRs today.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Back in the gym today and did bench presses, chins, and some dumbbell exercises. Ten days post-op. Not far from where I left off. I did go in with a no grinding rule because I didn't think that would be a good idea at this stage.

Even chins, which some have trouble with post hernia repair due to tightness in the lower abs, were fine.

No pain, just a little tugging sensation now and then. It was very good mentally to be back, even if I set no PRs today.
    It's amazing how fast people recover by (1) being fit to begin with and (2) just fucking doing things they did before surgery as quickly as pain and recovery from trauma allow.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    It's amazing how fast people recover by (1) being fit to begin with and (2) just fucking doing things they did before surgery as quickly as pain and recovery from trauma allow.
    I went back and did squats yesterday. Same thing, no problem.

I posted this in my log but I'll put it here too.

I am heartened by the instructions of one surgeon in New York for the identical surgery (although there is no way I would have gone to the gym on post-op day three): "On the third post-operative day, unless told differently by me, you have FULL UNRESTRICTED physical activity. There is no limitation, and the more you do, the quicker the pain and discomfort will disappear. Some discomfort and pain is normal. Your body will set your limits, though it is ok to be aggressive."

Who'd think that the "the more you do, the quicker the pain and comfort will disapper?"