starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to eat.

Default I don't know what to eat.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ever since the 50’s doctors have been saying you need to eat carbs and avoid fat (eat fruit, pasta, & vegetables, not meat). But when I recently went on a low carb diet, I lost weight, and my blood test looked great.

Then I just read this:

Meat and cheese may be as bad as smoking | USC News

…but then study also said: “Those over 65 who ate a moderate- or high-protein diet were less susceptible to disease.”

I don’t know what to believe. Any thoughts?

Eat meat until 50.

Eat pea protein until 65.

Go back to meat at 65.

But since 50 is the new 40 (or whatever), probably just cut back on meat between ages of 60 to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McGarrey View Post
    Ever since the 50’s doctors have been saying you need to eat carbs and avoid fat (eat fruit, pasta, & vegetables, not meat). But when I recently went on a low carb diet, I lost weight, and my blood test looked great.

Then I just read this:

Meat and cheese may be as bad as smoking | USC News

…but then study also said: “Those over 65 who ate a moderate- or high-protein diet were less susceptible to disease.”

I don’t know what to believe. Any thoughts?
    From the same journal that had the article quoted in the news article you linked:

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(17)30490-4

I would say, eat like a mouse. It seems that low carb diets are good for them.

Here is the link to the original journal article behind the news item you posted:
    http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(14)00062-X

If you read it you will note that they do admit there may be problems with the study.
    Last edited by Culican; 09-07-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional info

If the low fat diets that doctors are always pushing really worked, America wouldn't have an obesity problem.
    Proteins and fats (the good kinds) are not the enemies. Carbohydrates (especially sugars) are the real enemy.

I usually eat a diet heavy in meat. I also supplement with whey protein. My wife likes to feed me carbs. If I eat too many carbs I feel heavy and fat and lethargic and I can feel the lump of crap in my gut for a couple days until I shit it all out and burn it off. If I eat cleaner with lots of meat, some fresh vegetables and few carbs I feel better, more awake and stronger. The food pyramid and my plate and other bullshit reccomended by the government will make you fat.
    Last edited by PizzaDad; 09-09-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McGarrey View Post
    Meat, dietary heme iron and risk of type 2 diabetes: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. - PubMed - NCBI

I guess "plant based" (that's the agenda nowadays) diets are always better.

Brain aging and midlife tofu consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

Oops! Maybe not.

Read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes.

If high carb and low fat were really such a good idea, it would be working better.

Especially bad are highly processed carbs like flour & sugar.

As little processed food as possible. As many fruits and vegetables as possible. Whole Grains. Meat, preferably not from a factory farm. Adjust total calories and macros based on your training and body comp goals.
    That's really all the average person needs to worry about.

starting strength coach development program
    There is no specific bad macronutrient ... Protein is required for recovery. Fat is required to assist with moving nutrients in and out of the cells and carbs are required to get strong.

With that said, Cheesepuff and ChrisRozon stated it correctly (and Taubes is awesome). Processed food is not only unhealthy for you (read the studies that Taubes uses in his books), it doesn't have as good an uptake as a whole food which makes it less capable of helping you get strong ... Need I say more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast