starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    C-130 stories. I was on one rigged for jumping coming back from desert phase to mountain phase of ranger school...lots of my class were West Point graduates. One of the pilots was an exchange cadet while we were at the academy and he decided to have some fun with us. Every 10 minutes or so, he would throw an empty beer can our way and then start flying erratically. This went on for what seemed like an eternity. I was never so happy to jump out of an airplane. Dude found us after ranger school and we all had a good laugh over that one. Freaking zoomies

Music: Device, Disturbed, Skillett, Shinedown and Story of the Year are my main sources of inspiration.

Clearly my playlists were short on ZZ-Top.
    - La Grange
    - Sharp Dressed Man
    - Tush

This error in judgement shall be rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    C-130 stories. I was on one rigged for jumping coming back from desert phase to mountain phase of ranger school...lots of my class were West Point graduates. One of the pilots was an exchange cadet while we were at the academy and he decided to have some fun with us. Every 10 minutes or so, he would throw an empty beer can our way and then start flying erratically. This went on for what seemed like an eternity. I was never so happy to jump out of an airplane. Dude found us after ranger school and we all had a good laugh over that one. Freaking zoomies

Music: Device, Disturbed, Skillett, Shinedown and Story of the Year are my main sources of inspiration.
    Great story DeanT. I've flown in my share of jump rigged AF C-130s but none of the pilots tried to punk us like your AF guy did. That's Punk Level 10 stuff there.

At age 65 my hearing is so bad from the Navy that my neighbors tell me they can hear my music and the weights clanging from half-way down the street. I always ask them if it bothers them and they say no so I keep the music turned up and the garage door open.

I play my Jason and the Scorchers channel on Pandora for some shit kicking, hard rock country.

Quote Originally Posted by BertBamboo View Post

I play my Jason and the Scorchers channel on Pandora for some shit kicking, hard rock country.
    ++ on Jayson and the Scorchers!! They were on my playlist yesterday along with JD McPherson, Shinyribs & The Gourds

Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    ++ on Jayson and the Scorchers!! They were on my playlist yesterday along with JD McPherson, Shinyribs & The Gourds
    I'll check out Shinyribs, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Zep, Stones, Who, Zep, ACDC, Soundgarden, Nazareth, Zep, ZZ-Top, Thorogood, Sabbath, carefully selected Zappa (it's not all appropriate), some Seger, some Jimi, Zep, Aerosmith, Creedence, Skynyrd, occasionally Metallica or Mastodon, occasionally the Prodigy or Rage, Zep, Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Afro-Celt Sound System, early Heart (Zep, but with Babes), some Eagles, Mahogany Rush IV, Springsteen's Born to Run, Various Other Artists, and Zep.

And sometimes Mozart.
    I can vouch for most of this list, especially the 6 references to Led Zepplin.

The Immigrant Song is my official "Heavy Deadlift" song.

Despite the excellent axe work of "early Heart" it is hard to justify them being "Zep, but with Babes".
    The gulf between really good, and Epic will suffer no such equivalence. Although I did find the comment amusing.

YMMV

Seems like folks stick with the musical choices of their college years or some other weird anomaly that causes them to have time capsule music.
    Do Boomers listen to anyone from the current century?

I was listening my songs on shuffle while deadlifting today straight after work, I think it was Baker Gurvitz Army playing something mellow at the time I pulled a PR. Feeling chuffed.

starting strength coach development program
    Sully sprays to all fields... which somehow makes me jealous... but not quite enough to replicate.

There is also a geographic component to this, I spent 6 years in Arkansas... where they don't have music. At least not that was recognizable to me at the time.
    Sort of like the line in "Blues Brothers".
    What kind of music do you usually have here?
    We have both kinds: Country and Western

I returned from Arkansas with a newborn, so hard rock was contraindicated. So, several more years of commuting by train extended this "unplugged era". Once the "newborn" was pre-teen, the obsession with the latest kicked into high gear, and while some of it was good, all of it was excessive. Alas, I had grown old. *** turn that damn music down *** Nirvana, Offspring, Bush and Soundgarden come immediately to mind. (worthy bands all in their own right)

I would argue that the range is more high school / college, perhaps earlier. My top two music buttons on Sirus are 60's and 70's. followed by 80's, classic vinyl and deep tracks.

I recalled Three Dog Night recently, and decided to listen to their greatest singles... Shattering my memory of them "being good".

Worth a listen:
    The Who - Baba O'Reiley - Won't Get Fooled Again
    Aerosmith - Walk this Way - Sweet Emotion
    Led Zepplin - ... where do I start/stop?
    Pink Floyd - Hey You - Comfortably Numb - Have a Cigar
    AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill - Back in Black - Thunderstruck
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme three steps - Simple Man - Free Bird - Sweet Home Alabama
    Grand Funk Railroad - Walk Like a Man - I'm Your Captain - We're an American Band

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast