starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Too much good music to list; unfortunately, my gym plays mostly crap and I can't get into the earbud way of life.

The C-130 will always be my favorite bird. I walked away from this crash: An Air Force C-130 cargo plane crashed and exploded... - UPI Archives Not all of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    Too much good music to list; unfortunately, my gym plays mostly crap and I can't get into the earbud way of life.

The C-130 will always be my favorite bird. I walked away from this crash: An Air Force C-130 cargo plane crashed and exploded... - UPI Archives Not all of us did.
    I would have preferred an A-10, as I was always interested in armored warefare. Stuka Pilot being one of my favorite reads.

I was lucky in my timing. We lost very few birds during my time. But 5 years earlier might have been a different story.

Bird behaved well.

What? Stukas and no love for the Sturmovik?

The antifa's will be after your ass now.

Zep, Stones, Who, Zep, ACDC, Soundgarden, Nazareth, Zep, ZZ-Top, Thorogood, Sabbath, carefully selected Zappa (it's not all appropriate), some Seger, some Jimi, Zep, Aerosmith, Creedence, Skynyrd, occasionally Metallica or Mastodon, occasionally the Prodigy or Rage, Zep, Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Afro-Celt Sound System, early Heart (Zep, but with Babes), some Eagles, Mahogany Rush IV, Springsteen's Born to Run, Various Other Artists, and Zep.

And sometimes Mozart.

I like a lot of the older stuff but really have heard it too many times now. Having college age and teenage children, I listen to and like a lot of the newer music too. I like hard rock but there isn't many good bands of the genre anymore. Today I listened to the very motivational Rocky's theme of all things, as well a Shakira, Will.I.am "hard", marian hill "down" and a few others on the kid's playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Zep, Stones, Who, Zep, ACDC, Soundgarden, Nazareth, Zep, ZZ-Top, Thorogood, Sabbath, carefully selected Zappa (it's not all appropriate), some Seger, some Jimi, Zep, Aerosmith, Creedence, Skynyrd, occasionally Metallica or Mastodon, occasionally the Prodigy or Rage, Zep, Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Afro-Celt Sound System, early Heart (Zep, but with Babes), some Eagles, Mahogany Rush IV, Springsteen's Born to Run, Various Other Artists, and Zep.

And sometimes Mozart.
    nice list except for disclaimer on the bolded for which I have no earthly idea what the hell they are ....

deads
    - Immigrant Song

Heavy squat sets:
    - Back in Black
    - Danger Zone
    - Thunderstruck

Sully's picks that "no one you've met has ever heard of" invariably turn out to be good. Including those bolded... just checked.

Amazon Music for the win.

FYI, you can troll his old starting strength logs and find some excellent music suggestions.

Usually Alice Cooper’s brutal planet album, but recently I got a shuffle which I have on shuffle, so I’m training to anything from frank Sinatra, KISS, sabbath, Ozzy, Andy Williams, Iron maiden, Zodiac mindwarp, Baker gurvitz army, Ella Fitzgerald, pink flood, Brian eno etc
    Rarely does the type of music (soft, slow or fast and frenzied) make a difference to the quality of workout.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I like a lot of the older stuff but really have heard it too many times now. Having college age and teenage children, I listen to and like a lot of the newer music too.
    Exactly.

Say what you will about the current state of Saturday Night Live, but I continue to watch it, partly out of habit, and have put songs on my playlist based on seeing newer bands perform on the show (for example, Alabama Shakes).

starting strength coach development program
    Most of my 1RM dead PRs have been pulled to "La Grange." It's become a tradition. A lot of my clients demand it before a PR attempt now, too.

The Jumpy-Bumpy Girlz (my 5p M-F ladies, at 67 and 58) demand "Custard Pie" or "Black Dog" for heavy squats.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast