starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 70. Never flew a plane but I did work as part of the ground crew for Northwest Airlines 1969 to 1979// may have fried some hearing.
    lately, I have been listening to Pandora. Today it was Lyle Lovett on Pandora.

Last March I was deadlifting a broomstick - today 165. On Friday I'll be back for 170.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crosby View Post
    I am 70. Never flew a plane but I did work as part of the ground crew for Northwest Airlines 1969 to 1979// may have fried some hearing.
    lately, I have been listening to Pandora. Today it was Lyle Lovett on Pandora.

Last March I was deadlifting a broomstick - today 165. On Friday I'll be back for 170.
    Nice!

Default Good list. Most are on Lynyrd Skynyrd, except Motzart of course

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Zep, Stones, Who, Zep, ACDC, Soundgarden, Nazareth, Zep, ZZ-Top, Thorogood, Sabbath, carefully selected Zappa (it's not all appropriate), some Seger, some Jimi, Zep, Aerosmith, Creedence, Skynyrd, occasionally Metallica or Mastodon, occasionally the Prodigy or Rage, Zep, Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Afro-Celt Sound System, early Heart (Zep, but with Babes), some Eagles, Mahogany Rush IV, Springsteen's Born to Run, Various Other Artists, and Zep.

And sometimes Mozart.
    thanks

Like Lyle Lovett, especially those with his large band.

Rammstein is appropriate and desirable for all occasions.

Unfortunately, as much as I love my training situation (group sessions with a SSC), I think Rammstein is a bit heavy for the other people in the group. (I wore a Rammstein t-shirt once, and one of the other women said, "They're too scary!" So someone else typically picks the music, and it's generally some modern thing with a lot of autotuned vocals, or occasionally some type of salsa music. It doesn't bother me one way or another, but it's not my preference for lifting, or any other aspect of life.

I'd also be happy with Metallica, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains. Sometimes my old gym would play Johnny Cash, and I always liked that for lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by elderwanda View Post
    Rammstein is appropriate and desirable for all occasions.

Unfortunately, as much as I love my training situation (group sessions with a SSC), I think Rammstein is a bit heavy for the other people in the group. (I wore a Rammstein t-shirt once, and one of the other women said, "They're too scary!" So someone else typically picks the music, and it's generally some modern thing with a lot of autotuned vocals, or occasionally some type of salsa music. It doesn't bother me one way or another, but it's not my preference for lifting, or any other aspect of life.

I'd also be happy with Metallica, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains. Sometimes my old gym would play Johnny Cash, and I always liked that for lifting.
    Rammstein is the ultimate PR music, although I don't particularly care for the song in the video. They get the heavy guitar riffs just right on some of their songs. Luckily I work out in my garage on a farm so I can crank the music without bothering anyone.

Rammstein is great, I've been rocking out to them for over 20 years. They are one of the few bands still around that I would like to see live.

Quote Originally Posted by BertBamboo View Post
    I play my Jason and the Scorchers channel on Pandora for some shit kicking, hard rock country.
    There is a band you don't hear mentioned very often. I saw them open for R.E.M. around 1985 and they were great. I saw them again at a fraternity party while in college. I might have to add them back to my playlist.

I like listening to the Meat Puppets (among many others) when I train.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Clearly my playlists were short on ZZ-Top.
    - La Grange
    - Sharp Dressed Man
    - Tush

This error in judgement shall be rectified.
    This is the tip of the iceberg. My personal Top (pun intended ) favs in no particular order :
    Viva Las Vegas
    Tube Snake Boogie
    Concrete and Steel
    Got Me Under Pressure
    Double Back
    Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
    Stages
    I Gotsta Get Paid

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue1979 View Post
    This is the tip of the iceberg. My personal Top (pun intended ) favs in no particular order :
    Viva Las Vegas
    Tube Snake Boogie
    Concrete and Steel
    Got Me Under Pressure
    Double Back
    Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
    Stages
    I Gotsta Get Paid
    OK loaded all of these into a playlist for tomorrows lift. Except "Double Back" was not listed under ZZ Top. At least in Amazon music.

HOW TO HAVE A GREAT DEADLIFT SONG
    Deep / dark and clean rift (usually guitar) Harsh and loud Pounding
    - Thin Lizzy - Jail Break (lead guitar and vocals) probably the prototypical easy to play dead lift song. Not a favorite, but the style is perfect.
    - Deep Purple - Space Truckin a lot in common with Thin Lizzy above
    - Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion & Immigrant Song (lead and drums)
    - Heart - Barracuda (all lead guitar, which is art)
    - ACDC - Thunderstruck base and rhythm
    - Rush - Tom Sawyer Base and drums (great artistry but a disturbing song)
    - ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man & Legs (half drums and most of the rest vocal) guitar is almost annoying, too much electronic fuzz and gadgets
    - The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again and Who Are You? (organ and rhythm guitar) These songs are ART.
    - Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Wooden Base and Cello yeah like a string quartette, and drums)

Just because you like a song does not make it good for Deadlifts. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. Does it help you get into the right frame of mind to go all out? Good chance it doesn't work the same for everyone.

My try out tomorrow will be during the press or lat pull downs. For heavy Squats and Deads I go with a proven playlist.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast