starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nice to see Thin Lizzy in there. If not Jailbreak consider Emerald. I am very biased to a bit of Lizzie

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Zep, Stones, Who, Zep, ACDC, Soundgarden, Nazareth, Zep, ZZ-Top, Thorogood, Sabbath, carefully selected Zappa (it's not all appropriate), some Seger, some Jimi, Zep, Aerosmith, Creedence, Skynyrd, occasionally Metallica or Mastodon, occasionally the Prodigy or Rage, Zep, Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Afro-Celt Sound System, early Heart (Zep, but with Babes), some Eagles, Mahogany Rush IV, Springsteen's Born to Run, Various Other Artists, and Zep.

And sometimes Mozart.
    Great list. You might like the Deadweather album Sea of Cowards (Alison Mossheart on vocals, Jack White on drums).
    Spotify Web Player - Sea Of Cowards - The Dead Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    In my late 30's and early 40's I recorded what I thought was a great play list of rock, pop, and classical music. Stuff like Steel Claw by Tina Turner, Twilight Zone by The Manhattan Transfer, Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull, the 1812 Overture, and a dozen others. It fired me up. Now, I find music a distraction.
    I actually don't like to listen to music while I lift heavy things. It's too distracting, not that I lift anything super-heavy. I just really feel like I need to concentrate on what I'm doing, and having been a semi-professional musician for so many years, I focus my attention on music if it's playing, rather than what I'm doing. I'd rather get my form right and not get hurt.

Some of the Marines who use the gyms where I've worked out over time used to play a lot of stuff, mostly aggressive, music. Some of it was pretty good but I can't remember any of the band names.

Quote Originally Posted by flatcat View Post
    I actually don't like to listen to music while I lift heavy things. It's too distracting, not that I lift anything super-heavy. I just really feel like I need to concentrate on what I'm doing, and having been a semi-professional musician for so many years, I focus my attention on music if it's playing, rather than what I'm doing. I'd rather get my form right and not get hurt.

Some of the Marines who use the gyms where I've worked out over time used to play a lot of stuff, mostly aggressive, music. Some of it was pretty good but I can't remember any of the band names.
    What, no cadences!? Just kidding. Even when he was still a just a boot, my son groaned when I brought up any cadences. Not surprising considering all the cadences and ditties he heard, and screamed, during recruit training.

I myself was never in the service, but I must be one of those moto-parents, because I have a few cadences on my playlist. It motivates me to consider the hardships Marines like my son go through. Wonder if I offend, or confuse, anyone who overhears me listening to them.

Quote Originally Posted by flatcat View Post
    Same here (not the musician part, though). There's too much to think about when doing a heavy lift for me to be distracted by music.

-RJP

starting strength coach development program
    A couple of heavy set "recent finds":
    Street Fighting Man -Stones
    Back in the Saddle - Aerosmith
    I won't Back Down - Petty
    Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
    We will rock you - Queen
    Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
    Slow Ride - Foghat
    Space Truckin' -Deep Purple
    Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
    Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane
    Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangles
    Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp
    Take On Me - A-Ha

New adds, I'll see if they make the next cut.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456