starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

Default Question for those old folks who listen to music when training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have been doing barbell training and Starting Strength app program since mid 2016. Older than most on this forum at 70, but that is my generation. Did not bother with music until recently. I work out alone and can stream music through my hearing aids--yes, it sucks, but too many hours in a C-130 finally caught up with me a couple of years ago. The question is for those who listen to music when training. What do you listen to? I got tired of the same albums on itunes and starting listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd radio on Pandora recently. CCR, ZZT, LZ, etc. Definitely helps keep me amped.

I spent 6 years driving C-130s at little rock, I'm 63, maybe we overlapped somewhere.

My daughter got me Amazon Music, so I have a play list for "recovery", "Max Effort" and "fun".

Max Effort is a lot of Zepplin, ZZ Top, Mellencamp, AC/DC,.

Recharge has BTO, Skynyrd, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Enya, Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Cream, Joe Walsh

There is also a music thread in this forum.

I add a healthy dose of Weird Al into that mix.

Yeah, I'm strange

I'm 61, and flew Cessnas. Not likely we crossed paths. I like old rock and some metal to amp things up. I have a few playlists on apple music, as well as Sirius radio on the phone. I can link it to the sound system at the fire hall.

In my late 30's and early 40's I recorded what I thought was a great play list of rock, pop, and classical music. Stuff like Steel Claw by Tina Turner, Twilight Zone by The Manhattan Transfer, Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull, the 1812 Overture, and a dozen others. It fired me up. Now, I find music a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Farback View Post
    I'm 61, and flew Cessnas. Not likely we crossed paths. I like old rock and some metal to amp things up. I have a few playlists on apple music, as well as Sirius radio on the phone. I can link it to the sound system at the fire hall.
    Cessnas (the 172 at least) flys a lot like the Herc. Roll rate, turns, rudder and the effect of flaps are similar.

Having 60% of your forward thrust in reverse (like the Herc) would have been handy in a 172, you could land in your back yard. LOL. (takeoff might be an issue though)

I was pretty careful about my hearing, my Mom was deaf. So I ALWAYS wore my earplugs and headset.

I was in the 50th Tactical Airlift.

Strange flying story: First thing that is strange was I had no intention of flying on this day. I was doing "engine run" which is basically taking the plane out to the end of the runway (the run up area not on the runway) for what was called a "pitch lock" check. Officially, no flying occurred.

TLDR YOU RUN UP THE ENGINES AND FOR A WHILE YOU ARE STUCK AT HIGH POWER (if that is good enough, skip this boring paragraph)
    The Herc has constant speed props driven by jet engines with a 13,000 to 1 reduction to keep the big ass props from going transonic. The hydraulics and crap to make all this go were complex and problematic at times. In any even, during this test you lose "control" of the engine, because you force the prop to take over by "fixing the pitch" which logically requires a certain amount of fuel flow to maintain the constant RPM. Basically this verifies that the prop is working correctly and overriding your throttle inputs until the prop can get to a better pitch.

** back to live action **
    A tornado came over the field and lifted us up some, and with two (of 4) engines and stuck near full power, we were on the taxiway in the air spinning. We only turned about 45 degrees, and took no damage. I was really glad we were doing inboards, (outboards were off) because concrete and spinning props are bad I'm told. I remember thinking... maybe we are going flying... or maybe a fireball. It would have made for an interesting accident report. I'm not sure we got all the way off the ground, the nose and left side trucks were up, but I'm pretty sure the right side trucks were hanging on because of the way we pivoted.

Engine run was never the same for me. LOL. The tornado never touched down but was sited by others. It could have been a micro burst I guess.

This was a C-130E probably built in the early 60's, and no doubt a Viet Nam veteran, (aka bent up from hard landings).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    I spent 6 years driving C-130s at little rock,
    Funny how they call it Little Rock, but it's in Jacksonville.

Anyway, I usually listen to Volbeat radio on pandora. Also Motley Crue, L.A guns radio, lot of 80's metal. Some days it might be Blues Guitar legends.

Yeah the weather was great... except for summer, which began in March, and ended in December.
    Beautiful country really. And good food. There was a dirt floor pole barn with an all you can eat fry two days a week, that was not to be missed. The catfish and chicken were excellent.

Yes on Weird Al... only problem, I know the song he's mocking... but can't name it for Siri.... except Word Crimes.
    Last edited by Cheesepuff; 09-09-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: forgot Word Crimes

Wow Cheesepuff, neat story. I had to stop flying when we made too many kids and had to keep a roof over them, but I miss it every day. I'm a grandpa now, and get my thrills on a motorcycle and driving firetrucks.

I have one flying story from way back when I was flying a 172 with a broken flap indicator. I was doing touch and goes, and was looking out the side window to see if my flaps were up on ascent, and managed to stall it at 10 feet, and end up back on the runway past the half way point with less than 1000 feet left, speed at this point too low to rotate, but fast. There was a pickup truck at the end of the runway servicing the lights. Decision time. Keep full throttle, peeled off last second without taking the truck with me.
    Last edited by Farback; 09-09-2017 at 08:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like fun. I strongly considered building a Vari-EZE back in the day. But similar life problems. LOL.

Yeah I had about two "fun memories" like that, not much fun at the time of course.

220px-VariEze_in_flight.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast