starting strength gym

Thread: Post Novice Resets?

Question Post Novice Resets?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been following the PPST page 233 plan for a while now and it's been working well. When I was doing the novice program I ended up doing two resets per exercise prior to moving on to post novice programming. Do resets also work in post novice programming? I think I've begun to stall with the overhead press.

Granted I am still a novice (and I plan on being one for quite a bit longer since I'm 23), there is a quote in either PPST or Starting Strength that can be paraphrased as "the application of appropriate back off periods will serve you well throughout your weight training career". This implies that back off periods/resets are a useful strategy for dealing with accumulated fatigue beyond the Novice period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    "the application of appropriate back off periods will serve you well throughout your weight training career". This implies that back off periods/resets are a useful strategy for dealing with accumulated fatigue beyond the Novice period.
    Yup. But remember... a novice is only manipulating intensity. An intermediate lifter is going to have the option to change intensity, frequency, or volume. A successful "backoff" period for an intermediate may look different than just dropping the weight 10% and continuing the same sets/reps/frequency like we do as novices.

This is a great video by Andy on volume cycling
    I recommend you watch this and his other videos on HLM.

Yes, as a post-novice when you do a reset you'll need to change a variable going forward.