How much do you weigh?
    Right now 203

At 203, the Advanced standards:

Squat: 363

Bench Press: 270

Deadlift: 408

OHP: 163

Cool thanks Mark...

So where on the web is the best place to find Strength Standards for older lifters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    At 203, the Advanced standards:

Squat: 363

Bench Press: 270

Deadlift: 408

OHP: 163
    I am age 55, and just beginning in Starting Strength. I weigh about 130 lbs. What would be a good set of targets for me to shoot for as an end goal?

Quote Originally Posted by BradInGeorgetown View Post
    I am age 55, and just beginning in Starting Strength. I weigh about 130 lbs. What would be a good set of targets for me to shoot for as an end goal?
    Here ya' go. Take a look. FREE GYM RESOURCES

If you've got other information, I'm interested in learning about it in terms other than "legend has it."

Did you use other and better search phrases? I also did a Google search using the same phrase.
    Try Rippetoe strength standards in Google. Second link. Here it is:

The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

You posted in the same thread a day later after Rip's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jugrock View Post
    Try Rippetoe strength standards in Google. Second link. Here it is:

The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

You posted in the same thread a day later after Rip's post.
    Perhaps you saw something I missed. The table Rip posted is not age adjusted, rather labelled "Adult."

My Google searches have not been fruitful to find out the basis for the Kilgore Age-Adjusted Weightlifting Standards. Many sites refer to them but I couldn't find out how they were developed. I'm hoping that someone with a deeper knowledge of the topic can enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtabula View Post
    My Google searches have not been fruitful to find out the basis for the Kilgore Age-Adjusted Weightlifting Standards. Many sites refer to them but I couldn't find out how they were developed. I'm hoping that someone with a deeper knowledge of the topic can enlighten me.
    Is this helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    Thanks Mark. I was looking for your response and glad to have the confirmation via McRobert's work. Well then, that's encouraging. I shot off an email to Dr. Kilgore about this and got the following reply:

"The standards are fairly well supported by the literature and published lifting results. The age corrections are obtained using coefficients of correction published in the scientific literature. There are always exceptions to rules but if you are exceeding the advanced levels you are doing quite well." https://startingstrength.com/resourc...tml#post327040
    You can also go to the classification standards tables for the USPA and the USPLA and look at the Raw Division standards. You will find these are reasonably close at the Master and Elite rankings. These standards are used to determine eligibility for competing in National and International meets.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 09-27-2017 at 03:30 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Legend is incorrect. I vetted the old Kilgore standards against a couple of federations raw Master's winning lifts for the elite category back when I first got here some years ago. They tracked pretty closely then. Given that level of veracity, I took the lower ranking columns on faith.
    Ah...I was referring to your post regarding the scientific nature of the tables, not age-adjustment. Specifically, this old thread seems to support bestafter60's point about the legend.

From Rip, post 35 in that linked thread regarding the original and edited tables (the edited ones were changed to have categories different from novice, intermediate, etc):

"At 12:41pm today, when post #14 went up. All tables of this type are bullshit, to a certain extent. But, we made them years ago, people are somehow still interested in using them, they were going to use them anyway, they are ours, so we thought, what the fuck? Put them up, rename the categories to solve the problem of association between the table and PPST, let everybody use them if they say where they came from, and go on.

Except Adam wants to know why the jump between Cat2 and 3 at 181 is different than Cat2 and 3 at 198. The answer is, I don't remember. We did them in 2006. Me and Lon pulled them out of our asses, okay? He pulled some out of my ass, I pulled some out of his ass. They are meaningless bullshit. If you are even semi-conscious you will IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY. But if you reproduce them, say where you got them."

Seems that if the original tables were little more than expert hand-waving, age-adjusted tables would have even less real value.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast