starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Dad

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
    Dr. Sullivan is my hero. I wish he was local. There should be at least one gym like Greysteel in every city. It's a shame how undervalued this process is by the general pop.

I will let him know about the goblet squats and box squats. We may give it a shot next time. I think box squats would be best because he always comes forward. I think it's more of a mental block than it is a flexibility issue. If he knows he's going to sit down on something, it may really help him understand how to shoot his hips back.
    I agree a Greysteel in every area. That would help so much!

Thanks. We're working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Thanks. We're working on it...
    No, thank YOU. The world needs it.

Update: I talked to my dad on the phone and we discussed the gym visit a bit more. I told him I did not think his squatting issue was a flexibility problem since I saw his hips, ankles, and knees go through the range of motion necessary on the leg press. I told him it was likely a matter of kinesthetic awareness and proper foot placement. He practiced at home apparently and texted me three hours later. He included a picture of himself squatting, heels and toes on the floor, knees pushed outward, back straight (not vertical). According to him, this is the first time he has ever squatted without having to get up on his toes. I was proud of the guy for persevering. As Rip puts it, the bar is a "confounding variable." So we'll see what happens when he gets under there again.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Yes this!!!

I'm 63 but was "living older" ...
    What a great phrase this is for opening people's eyes to a new way of thinking about themselves!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123