starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found out today I am really, really wrong about everything. Bro lifter explain it all

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hip ruptures from hyper-deep squatoses are no laughing matter, brah.

Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Yep. Almost 30 years of a home gym rat here. Tx Dave's story reminds me of one, and I've only lifted in commercial gyms three times in three decades.

I was in Spokane at a gym while visiting the city for a week. I went in alone and there were only two other people there, a young woman working and a young man in his early 20s. I was doing close grip benches (surprise!) and began warming up. The young man comes over and decides to help a nice old man out. First while I was warming up with the bar he explained at benches were bad for lifters, especially bad for old lifters like me who were just learning. Learning? I was lifting when he was crapping yellow in his diaper.

After tossing a plate on, for 135lbs, he was sure I needed a spot, all the while telling me I was taking too big of jumps. Of course I was a kindly and accepting old fella and just smiled and nodded. After ten or fifteen reps with him hovering, sure he was going to save my life, he got even closer when I threw another plate on. Of course, he was sure I needed more warmups for a one-rep max. I shooed him away from giving me a liftoff and took the bar myself. He was ready to pull it off my chest and was leaning over me for the first rep. After the tenth he finally backed away, realizing I didn't need a spot. I racked the bar at twenty, considering doing twenty-five, but didn't want the bar speed to slow.

I went on to my working sets, 315 for 3 sets of 10 and he was nice enough not to bother me anymore. After finishing my workout (and thanking him) I walked past the young lady at the front desk who was doing all she could to not die laughing, and tipped my hat with a smile.

Wish I could have seen that, Oldster. Kind of like a Clint Eastwood/Harry Callahan moment. Cool and collected.

Wish I could have caught the entire episode on video, #SuperYoda. It was hilarious. Of course, it gave me added motivation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Yep. Almost 30 years of a home gym rat here. Tx Dave's story reminds me of one, and I've only lifted in commercial gyms three times in three decades.

I was in Spokane at a gym while visiting the city for a week. I went in alone and there were only two other people there, a young woman working and a young man in his early 20s. I was doing close grip benches (surprise!) and began warming up. The young man comes over and decides to help a nice old man out. First while I was warming up with the bar he explained at benches were bad for lifters, especially bad for old lifters like me who were just learning. Learning? I was lifting when he was crapping yellow in his diaper.

After tossing a plate on, for 135lbs, he was sure I needed a spot, all the while telling me I was taking too big of jumps. Of course I was a kindly and accepting old fella and just smiled and nodded. After ten or fifteen reps with him hovering, sure he was going to save my life, he got even closer when I threw another plate on. Of course, he was sure I needed more warmups for a one-rep max. I shooed him away from giving me a liftoff and took the bar myself. He was ready to pull it off my chest and was leaning over me for the first rep. After the tenth he finally backed away, realizing I didn't need a spot. I racked the bar at twenty, considering doing twenty-five, but didn't want the bar speed to slow.

I went on to my working sets, 315 for 3 sets of 10 and he was nice enough not to bother me anymore. After finishing my workout (and thanking him) I walked past the young lady at the front desk who was doing all she could to not die laughing, and tipped my hat with a smile.
    Awesome, Oldster!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12