starting strength gym

Thread: Diastasis Recti Diagnosis - Seeking input and advice

Default Diastasis Recti Diagnosis - Seeking input and advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    57 years old and have been a strict SS devotee for three years. Never trained prior to finding SS. I have run my novice LP and when travel keeps me out of the gym, I generally reset and resume a basic LP on the four major lifts. Doctor diagnosed Diastasis Recti as mild to moderate with two areas of concern along the Linea Alba. I have had the condition for at least one year. Doctor blames heavy weight training with valsalva as likely culprit, but then says could have been caused by other factors. No pain at all. Of course i want to continue to train, but i also would like to prevent further injury or deterioration. When i started my LP i was of course a skinny fat 185 and now I am 215 at 5 ' 8". My PR's are Squat 285 5x3, OP 154 5x3, BP 218 5x3, DL 300 5x1. I have several questions but am looking for anyone who may have experience with this. How do i approach this from a training perspective. Its considered an injury and have been advised to have it heal up prior to resume training. Not even sure it can heal? Any thoughts or words of wisdom much appreciated.

I also have a Diastasis Recti (two fingers). I believe I got it from a squat que I got from Dan John which was "Buddha belly" I stay way from any direct ab work or anything that makes it pop out. I am following to see if there is any other input.

Have you continued to Squat?

Quote Originally Posted by keelkemper View Post
    Have you continued to Squat?
    Yes, but not with the Buddha belly.

Does not look like this thread is very inspiring to folks. I think it is a consideration for early trainees to be careful, be conservative, train slowly, add weight steady but gently. We will keep training and be grateful

Okay, I will add something.

I recently had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia (actually two because the surgeon found on on the other side when he was in there). I did a lot of research. One of the interesting things I have found is some of the highest intra-abdominal pressures occur when jumping, sneezing, coughing, and bearing down to take a difficult crap. (Regarding the last one, finding a person dead of a heart attack on the toilet is not uncommon.) I don't think it is clear at all that your lifting caused this.

Can't edit. Just wondered if you had seen this.

Diastasis recti and barbells?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm new but my wife suffers from diastasis recti due to previous pregnancies. She had a 4 finger gap and now its reduced to a 2 finger gap. Her recovery has been attributed to a book she read. Not sure of all the details and may not all apply to you. But her name is Katy Bowman. Her website is Nutritious Movement – You Are How You Move . I believe she has written articles on it and has a podcast or two about it. Her book on diastasis recti is found here. Diastasis Recti: The Whole-Body Solution to Abdominal Weakness and Separation – Nutritious Movement