starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Wheeled Vehicles: My downfall!

Default Two Wheeled Vehicles: My downfall!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posed this on my Log, but thought I would post it here too as I'm a little low and I know you fellow oldsters are good for some encouragement, even though my troubles are my own damn fault!

Its just been 18 months since my motorcycle accident, which laid me up for three months and required starting over with LP on the squat and DL.

Last Sunday I had a mountain bicycle accident and broke my hip. Ouch! The clip on my right pedal had become a bit sticky, but the season was almost over so I put off replacing it thinking I could put in a couple more rides before the rainy season shut me down. I'd have plenty of time to replace the pedals over the winter. I came to a stop at the top of a hill and couldn't get my right foot out of the clip. I tumbled over directly onto my right hip and cracked it between the ball and the femur. (I didn't know that at the time of course!)

Strength training played a big role in getting me back home safely, and then on to the hospital. I was in a remote part of the local trail system and no one was about. It would take hours for the rangers to get to me if I called it in and asked for an evac. So I managed to climb onto my bike and climb several hills with just one leg pedaling as the right hip was just too painful to put any pressure on. I made it back to my pickup, threw the bike in the back, drove home using my left foot for the brake and then called my wife from the driveway and asked her to bring out my crutches, as I couldn't walk! (Handy that I still had the crutches from my motorcycle accident last year!)

Two days in the hospital and 3 screws in the hip later, I'm on crutches. Every day I can put more weight on the right foot as I hobble around. The start of physical therapy is 2 weeks away and then probably another couple of months before I can restart squats. Once again completely starting over!!! Ugh!

Also, my diet is out the window. I had lost 15 lbs in 2 months on a low carb diet and was well on my way to my target of getting into my size 36" pants again. Now I need to eat at a surplus to promote bone healing and rebuilding my strength. I'm going to have to put up with my beer gut for another 6 months at least!

Oh well. I'm very happy to be strong. I'm sure my hip break would have been much worse if the bone hadn't been strengthened from 5 years of heavy (for me) lifts. I'll get right back to it when I can. I'll start posting again once I'm back to training! Gene

Well that sucks. Good luck with your recovery. I was going to say at least it's winter coming so no biking, but I see you're not in the white hell zone.

We train to live, we don't live to train. Well done! Except of course for the crashes.

LP has been very good for me. It has made me much healthier and much more capable.

I have not "completed" the novice phase or even "threatened the boundaries". My excuses and injuries are many and varied. The constant has been the effectiveness of LP, to bring me back to a much better place.

I have always come back to this:
    - Start where you are
    - Do what you can
    - Follow the program as close as you can
    - Keep making progress

We all have our challenges. The constant is the effectiveness of the program. But, you already know that.

Rehabbing sucks... but not as much as rotting.

Stay aggressive but smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    We train to live, we don't live to train.
    I like and enjoy training. So in a sense, I live to train.

Keep focusing on the end goal; getting stronger to improve your quality of life, doing what you love to do. Sometimes life throws us a little curve ball, it's best just to try and catch it as best we can, and move on to the next pitch.

That which doesn't kill us, shall surely make us stronger...

Some how I missed your accident. Sucks, but hang in and fight your way back. I've been thinking about such accidents myself a lot lately. I like riding my Sportster, but my sense of caution is warning me that my processing speed is slowing down in the face of rapidly changing conditions.

But at our age, just showing is the first step in fighting the good fight, so keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    But at our age, just showing is the first step in fighting the good fight, so keep on keeping on.
    True at any age but more important as the years go by.

Thanks guys! Just what I needed (and expected from this super group). I started lifting to support my favorite sports, but over the years lifting itself has become one of them.

Hi Gene,

I have to say, I guffawed a little bit picturing your face at the realisation that your foot was still locked on the pedal, and you were therefore on your way to a ground zero meeting. I feel a bit naughty for this :-)

I second what MEH and Cheesepuff said; staying in the game is already way better than not playing at all. You will come back, there is no question about it. A few years down the line, I am sure you will look back and feel quite satisfied at all the ground you covered after this setback, and then some.

Be patient, stay strong.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I know your sense of frustration. I just got a new knee this summer. I was doing great on the LP. So, I went for MTB ride. I was just swinging my leg over the saddle while pushing off with my other foot when I hit a rock that stopped me dead in my tracks. I fell over in to a berry vine patch. I tore a muscle in the back of my "good" leg. I had to lay there for about 10 minutes before I could haul my sorry ass out of the patch Lycra pants aren't much good against all those thorns. My wife just about died laughing while pulling them out of my butt. I'm almost back to where i was before the crash. I think I'll be ready just in time for the ski season. I have my ski pass hanging on my key rack to stay motivated. Life can be entertaining in ways I can't imagine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast