starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    More specifically, where most average-sized older men must switch grips.

Not-fully-grown teens and women have smaller hands and much lower grip limits, particularly on 32mm globo-gym bars.
    True. Female, age 50 here. Just for reference, in case anyone is interested, I'm pretty sure I needed to start using hook grip at around 140 pounds on my deadlift. My hands are pretty small, and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do the hook grip, but it turned out to be no problem. As long as I use plenty of chalk, especially on the inside of my thumbs, and use the hook grip on my heavier warm-ups, it's fine. My working weight (1x5) will be 200 lbs next week, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

male just about 54, i've done a single at 355 DOH, i usually switch midway at 315 from DOH to alt (set of 5 at 315, first 3 doh, last 2 alt) just to 'warm up' my left arm and get it ready for heavier lifts. done a single at 390 alt

no hook for me, i'll use straps before i beat my thumbs up

male 63, 5' 8-1/2", 173 lbs.
    Last couple of dead lift sessions I hit 315 x 3 reps. I typically do stiff leg dead lifts immediately after presses. Its a nice feeling to stretch the back after the press. I start with stiff leg dead lifts concentrating on stretching hamstrings and lower back at 45lbs thru 225 lbs x 5 reps, all using the double overhand grip.
    Next, i dead lift with double overhand grip. I was going to 275 x 3, and then 315 x 1 was hit or miss. Now I skip 275 and go straight to 315, which was hit or miss until the past couple weeks.
    Finally, moving to an alternate grip, I try a heavy set x 5, or sometimes 3. The double overhand reps build my grip strength for the alternate grip work set. I don't like the hook grip.
    I've gotten away from chalk for a couple reasons:
    1 Its beats up my hands, tears and scrapes my skin and calluses.
    2 I don't need it. My grip is strong from the described routine and not a weak link in dead lifting.
    Another thing I've noticed is some days I'm stronger than others. My guess is rest or lack of, diet - too much crap, and amount of other physical stuff I've done, usually tennis.
    Hope this helps someone.

Do yu work out at home? If so and if you have the $$, you can buy a bar made for deadlifting. The knurling will be more aggressive and, along with calk, you will be able to DOGH quite a bit more weight.

I recently was introduced to a deadlift specific bar and was amazed at how much better deadlifting with it felt.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I recently was introduced to a deadlift specific bar and was amazed at how much better deadlifting with it felt.
    what makes it so good other than the knurl? thinner? more whippy?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    what makes it so good other than the knurl? thinner? more whippy?
    Yes and yes. I'm not a fan of the "whippy" part because at the end of the day, I think it artificially inflates the work done (versus same weight and straight bar) and is a gimmicky way to lift more weight ( I did 15 more pounds than my programmed weight), but the way the bar felt in my hands was incredible. I am back at the Y using the thick, shiny, slick bars and my grip slips over 405, even with the straps.

Going on 37 here, 6ft 195. I've been in forging my whole life, so my grip is pretty strong. I don't pull much anymore but I used to warm up to 405 doh pretty easily. My bar now is cheap and it's a solid bar with no spin, so 405 really fights back now.

65 yo, 235.

I've been methodically working my way up on the dead lift, broke 300 for 5, was moving steadly, and then at 330, the grip fell apart. Doing double overhand.

Was at Paul Horn's gym this past week, and wanted to get a lesson from the master on the hook grip. But when Paul positioned my hands, he said it isn't going to happen for me.

My hands, and my thumb specifically, are just too small.

So it's straps from now on. I did 325 for 5 at Paul's gym, and it was no problem with the straps!!

starting strength coach development program
    OK, but why is an alternating grip out of the question?

You'll still get more benefit on grip strength from that rather than resorting to straps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast