starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift and using HDL and Rackpulls Breaking the floor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hence the additional Haltings, with backoff sets for volume. At 60, its just going to take time and titrating the stress up a tad to determine if that gets results.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    My issue has been getting the bar off the floor. I've been alternating using HDL and rack pulls and it's helping albeit very slowly. I'm 60 at 5'10" and 180lbs. I've stalled at 335lbs on the DL. I can rack pull 370lbs for five and HDL 300lbs for 8. With my issue of breaking off the floor I've been wondering about say three weeks of HDLs once each week and then a rack pull the last week of the month in an attempt to really strengthen up my weak link. However would this really work? Could I recover from HDLs three weeks in a row?
    What is the problem off the floor? You mention a weak link, but you don't give us your guess for what it might be. Position? Grip? Back?...

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    What is the problem off the floor? You mention a weak link, but you don't give us your guess for what it might be. Position? Grip? Back?...
    I simply can't even get the weights to leave the floor at 335lbs. The second half of the dead lift I can do up to 370lbs which I manage with rack pulls but the first half of the dead lift is where I'm weak. I'm going to try adding back off sets to increase the stress a bit. I've recently added medium days for my presses and it seems to be helping there. As someone else stated it's worth a try!

starting strength coach development program
    Right, but that doesn't indicate what's going on. Do you mean you can do a good set at 330, but nothing at 335?

People tend to underestimate the effect of grip problems, miss when their set up is off, and have high rack pull numbers because they shift their knees under.

Grip is easy to check - strap and try again.

Post a video so everyone can see your start position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12