starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elderly?

Default The Elderly?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, we get to share our perspective with others who have the usual limitations of aging in this section. I am amused when those under 60 think that they are elderly. It never occurred to me that ten years ago I was elderly, but 70 hit hard. Confronting one's mortality is not easy and to me imparts a sense of urgency to get stronger and stave off the ultimate infirmity that we will all experience in the normal course of aging. No way am I going to stop trying to improve. Barbell training has amazing physical and physic benefits and as MR says, strength is like money in the bank. This idea is very powerful and needs to be broadcast. It really bums me out when I see men in their 40's and older just submitting to the easy excuse that they have a bad back or some other normal physical problem. Funny thing about low bar back squats is that they are incredibly therapeutic anytime my high school wrestling injury discomfort returns after a long plane, car or train ride. Straightens me out immediately.

How can we get national attention focused on the incredible benefits of barbell training?

Damn good question! To borrow Ripp's phrasing, the message from the SS community still falls into the category of "narrowcasting". A cascade of testimonials helps, but on this forum such testimonials are preaching to the choir. Even among my friends and acquaintances, they say "that's nice, good for you!" and go back to whatever they were (or weren't) doing before the conversation. And...I am hearing a non-stop listing of reasons why they can't do barbell training (e.g. balance issues, back problems, fibromyalgia, lack of knowledge). If I try to explain that their concerns are real but not necessarily prohibitive of progressive weight training, I get "the look". They don't want to hear it or perhaps are unable to "hear" it as it would take away their reasons for not doing it. So sad. So avoidable.

On the other hand, at age 72, I have a lot of progress remaining.

Well damn, I'm only 56. Moderators, please remove my videos from The Elderly Thread of Awesome. I don't want to offend anyone.

To the OP.

They'll either get it or they won't. I gave up proselytizing to the unconvicted some time ago. I have a circle of friends my age, only one of whom exercises with some intensity at all and that on a bowflex. I don't think I'll ever convince him to try iron, but I have given him SS style programming advice with 3 sets of 5, longer rest periods, and a limited number of movements rather than a myriad. His strength has improved and he has lost weight and thanks me on a regular basis. The other guys mock the two of us when we start talking training at our weekly scotch and cigar gatherings, and we ignore them.

Live your life, live it well, and do what you can when you encounter someone who may be receptive to taking better charge of their life. If they don't, it's a self regulating downward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Live your life, live it well, and do what you can when you encounter someone who may be receptive to taking better charge of their life. If they don't, it's a self regulating downward spiral.
    Amen!

I agree with Mark. Either they get it or they won't. Along with "narrowcasting" as Bill mentioned. I seen it with those my age (48) and older but also the young ones. People don't or won't understand squats and deadlifts help my herniated back or that presses help my arthritic shoulder. And shoulder pain is so bad I had to switch to the Safety Squat Bar (thanks Shug). And if someone ask for advice on what do, explain the benefits of proper strength training. Then its up to them. Its all we can do. It really is narrowcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    OK, we get to share our perspective with others who have the usual limitations of aging in this section. I am amused when those under 60 think that they are elderly.
    I'm 65. I don't figure to be elderly for quite a while yet. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out what I wanna do when I grow up.

(It's a long wait for some of us. I'm not complaining. Meanwhile, I'll continue hitting the iron while I try to figure it out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Well damn, I'm only 56. Moderators, please remove my videos from The Elderly Thread of Awesome. I don't want to offend anyone.
    Thanks for ringing in. I am amused, not offended.

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    How can we get national attention focused on the incredible benefits of barbell training?
    As one organization puts it: Think globally, act locally.

Who is more "local" to you than friends and relatives.

THINGS I USE FOR THIS
    Dr Jonathan Sullivan's book. (the Why section plays well, also his videos work great in emails)
    Shrug's antics and videos. (despite his relative youth)
    Rip's shoulder rehab video is very well received to those with all to common shoulder problems. (very specific magic... I keep my rack setup for this)
    My 14 year old nephew. (he is a beast on the football field, and I have video)

Then of course, there is me. Formerly using two canes, and probably should have transitioned to a walker.
    Now, not so much.
    I still don't lift like Shrug, but there is a lot of that going around.

Help those who are willing. Don't waste all your time on the unwilling.

starting strength coach development program
    Shrug?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast