starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Prescription: Heavy Light Split pg. 266 - Example 24-20 - LESSONS LEARNED?

Question Barbell Prescription: Heavy Light Split pg. 266 - Example 24-20 - LESSONS LEARNED?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age 60;5'10";180lbs

For the last three weeks or so I’ve been adding in medium days for my presses and just started that for dead lifts. It appears to be bearing fruit as I noticed the last two work outs I was able to up my back off sets and almost made my prime lifts for reps which I’ve been failing on for a while so I can see this will work. However, I only lift twice a week and this has caused my garage time to really expand to the point I don’t think I can keep this up at least until I retire and have larger blocks of time to devote to this.

I went looking through the book and found the program I noted above (four day) that would give me smaller blocks of time. Anyone have experience with this style? If so any lessons learned I could apply from the beginning?

I seem to make better progress on HLM than HL split, but agree HLM takes more total time in the gym. Both heavy and medium day are long sessions.

The HL split upper-body days are so quick that I was tempted to add a lot of assistance work. I.e. after presses and chins, I felt like doing dips and curls. Nothing wrong with that, but if your primary goal was to be out of the gym fast, it's kind of counterproductive.