starting strength gym

Thread: Do I need a deload

Default Do I need a deload

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    a week and a half ago I hit 295 for 3x5 clean. My next squat day, and the one after that I could only hit 300 for 1-2 reps. I know there is a lot of debate over whether a novice (albeit 45 year old) lifter should take a week off in a deload. I suppose one thought is I need to just not be lazy/scared of the weight (especially since I was able to get 300 and 305 over the summer prior to an injury). But another part of me thinks I need to ease back on the reps for a few days. If so, is it better to keep up volume (3x5) at lower % of the weight, or keep the weight the same but drop the reps?

According to what I'm reading, masters should reduce volume but keep intensity up during deload.

Here's a great article by coach Baker.

The First Three Questions

If you're good on "the first three questions", and you consider yourself "close" to your potential for linear... invest in micro plates.

But one bad day does not change your plan. Three bad days changes your plan.

We all have crappy days. Don't panic. It is more about trying again, than succeeding on every attempt.
    We need to dare greatly, and we're not doing that if we never miss.

Good luck!

Agreed. A single bad day happens (all too often). But several bad days (assuming recovery and nutrition are on par), usually is a good sign for a deload.

For me, it's usually a combination of a couple bad days in conjunction with fatigue above the normal aches and pains that come from pushing. When I say "above", I mean the bone weary, can't sleep, everything hurts (even with NSAIDS), can't think clearly, type of fatigue. And then the deload is still a pretty respectable intensity (weight), but with a much lower volume to allow for some additional recovery. How long is dependent on the person, as everyone is different, especially as we age. On an HLM program, I go light on volume for my heavy day with maybe a 5% reduction in weight, keep my light day the same (weight wise), but reduce the sets, and then totally skip my "medium" day. This limits how many days I go without pushing weight (possibly detraining), but still gives me some room for additional recovery.

n=1 and all that...(and I push no where near the weight some of these guys do). Age 47, 180lbs, 6'2" (yeah, I know I'm "under weight" by many folks' standards).

Thanks guys. Yeah, I forgot about the 3 questions page. Questions 1 and 2 are not the issue but I’m sure I could be eating better. My sleep has been off so hopefully that passes. This morning I decided to test it so I put 300 on the bar and got 3/3/2. I’m sure the missed reps were mental as I just did 295, and, like I said, I’ve done 300 before. I’m on the advanced novice program so Wed will be a lighter day plus deadlifts. That will let me try for the full 3x5 on Friday.