starting strength gym

Thread: Goals at 65

Default Goals at 65

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I turned 65 Sunday. My optimistic goal at the beginning of the year was to work up to multiples of 100 across major lifts by age 65. That would have me doing a pull up with 100lbs around my waist, pressing 200, benching 300, squatting 400, and deadlifting 500. I peaked at mid-year with 80's, at which time I got whacked or distracted by medical matters, vacation, job distress, and other whiny excuses to take my eye off the ball. In August I was stunned by how quickly I had detrained, and started fighting my way back, but without steady progress to which I had been accustomed. I think for awhile I actually lost faith in the idea that I should be just a little but stronger each time I lift. I split my time between a house in the big city and a beautiful plot of land in the country. Tomorrow I'll pick up some nice equipment so that I'm able to work my program regardless of location. My goal for the upcoming year is to make 90's. I know I can get there despite crap that might happen. Upside goal is 95, which I'll hit if I get through the year undistracted.

I'm 60 and have been stuck in a rut for about eight weeks (losing only a bit of strength but not gaining either) due to life getting in the way of training which will continue until the 1st of the year, then I can get back into regular training. It's amazing how fast we de-train at this age!

My goal is to not see 65, aging sucks.

I'm 63, aging doesn't suck as much if you are reasonably strong.
    So at 80, I'd like to have a BW or better Squat and Deadlift.
    Obviously 125% or 150% would be much better.

Won't win me any competitions, but I'll be no one to trifle with either.

I know a lot about being unreasonably weak. When I started I could only Dead lift 49% of body Weight. And could not Air Squat.
    Trust me, it is easy to get unreasonably weak.

Winning long term is really pretty easy armed with this methodology.

I've been 65 for a month or two and it's no big deal. Hell, I'm in better shape than most of the twenty-somethings I see when I head into town for one thing or another.

As long as you feel good and can do what needs doing, it's all good.

I tip my hat to all my brethren.

Well I'll be 68 in less then 2 weeks and although my lifts are no where near what some of the geezers here are,from what I see in the general population I am not doing too bad. I do regret not keeping up with my training when family health issues took much of my time and desire to lift . It been about 3 years that I have been training again and although I have made some progress the thing that keeps me going is knowing if I stop I will regress rather quickly .

starting strength coach development program
    I have to say it; a lot of you guys impress the crap out of me with the amount of weight you can move. I'm nowhere near the age of some in here (I'm 47), and I'm just happy PR'ing this morning with a 300lb DL (x5). Even thought it's much less than many in here, I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting and think it's not too bad for a slender 6'2" 180lb guy.

Again, hat's off to a lot you gents; you motivate the hell outta me and give me something to strive for...