starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: January fad exercises observations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Your never alone with a barbell.... I'm sure I read that somewhere :scratches head:
    Something like: "Outside of a dog, a barbell is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to train."

Ooo-Oooo, wait!

No, I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Something like: "Outside of a dog, a barbell is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to train."
    A plate on the bar is worth two in the rack ?

If you are not a great fan of people train at home.

Far less aggravating.

This started pretty fun and then it descended to suck. Sigh.

Those of us who would rather not deal with the Dunning-Kruger Effect, so evident in public gyms, do frequent these threads. Of course we have little or nothing to contribute typically.

But the stories are entertaining and validating. Our efforts to "help" are received no better than when a "gym bro" explains "how to lift" to us.

Cult-ish is probably fair usage in all directions... especially of those who "evangelize" to the higher level of truth of their program.

Of course I believe "we're right", but I also know that they believe just as much. And we are "more right for us" as most of us have objectives more consistent with what SS delivers. Some people need entertainment and other things.

I guess there are two choices.
    - live and let live
    - kill them all

I'll go with option 1. But it is still fair to make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    I'll go with option 1. But it is still fair to make fun of them.
    Pretty sure that's why we've got the longest thread on this site by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    If you are not a great fan of people train at home.

Far less aggravating.
    No waiting for a bar or station.

starting strength coach development program
    My wife and I go to a little Physical Therapy based gym in our neighborhood. There are all these machines and stations for super light exercises for people recovering from injuries or surgery. BUT, they do have two squat racks and barbells, which no one ever used! We'd go in, get our workout done sharing one squat rack "working in" with each other and get out without having to interact with the PTs or other gym goers. Recently, however, a new PT has shown up and he wants to tell my wife and I how to lift. "I can tell you guys are doing SS!" he announces. "Would you like some coaching?" I ask if he has been certified and he says "no" but he's got other credentials and he's "seen the videos." I tell him I've been coached by actual certified SS coaches, and I get periodic form checks. But the guy just won't leave well enough alone. We've tried to be courteous but eventually my wife is probably going to cut him a new one. (She's the more aggressive one in our partnership!)

Basic point: Don't offer advice unless its requested. Or if you must comment, be sensitive to how its received and back off if you detect if its not welcome.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234