starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Sully and Andy! The Barbell Prescription book

Default Thank you Sully and Andy! The Barbell Prescription book

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been on the Heavy/Light four day a week program for about eight weeks. This past week I broke through my old max lifts and for this 60 year old who weighs 173lbs (yes I have to gain weight) I'm really liking the program. I was able to OHP 125 and BP 203 and I have never been able to achieve that even in my youth. I have ways to go yet with the squat and DL but I'm sure it's going to work for them as well. Now on to my goals of OHP at 135lbs and BP of 225Lbs. Thank you both for such a well written and researched book.

We wrote it for you, Steve. Glad to hear that it works. Keep it up!

Just bought my 4th copy, at least. Word is spreading slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Just bought my 4th copy, at least. Word is spreading slowly.
    While I only own (gasp!) one copy, I have recommended the book on several sites I am active on and from what I can tell, the message is being received. It also helps that many, or perhaps most of the folks, are at least familiar with the "Rippetoe brand" to greater or lesser extent.

I use my copy regularly...and with each re-reading I seem to get just a bit more out of it.

Thanks again, gents.

I’ll second the thank you!! I read and then gifted my paper copy when I bought my Kindle copy. I’ve now gifted several Kindle copies. Life changing, certainly.

Thank you Dr Sullivan.

Many have asked "what happened" when they see me walking without canes. Most of them would prefer I answer "I took this pill, or had this surgery". But to those who show interest in the path I took, I give them "my copy" of the Barbell Prescription. This is now my 4th or 5th copy. I always have a new copy. LOL.

I'm 63 and can do things I couldn't in my 40's. By 60 I was effectively a cripple, and doubted I could take a "downtown job" which would require "excessive walking and standing" as part of the train commute. I wouldn't think twice about that now. I do display one of my canes prominently as a reminder to "do yer Fahves".

I'm planning a cross country ski trip in Yellowstone. So I just bought skis to learn with. Both of those things were "unimaginable" not long ago. Your book, and your "Squat Seminar" are major contributors to my break through.

When I was first injured, in the 70's, (back and knee), I recall thinking, it seems like I should progressively load what I can tolerate, and I would adapt and move forward at a moderate rate, eventually becoming stronger than I was pre injury.

Research and "professional" guidance quickly turned me to 3 lb dumbbells and cardio, or as I now refer to it, "The Highway to Hell".

Hell wasn't very fun, but the stress, recovery adaptation cycle you advocate has put me on a different highway... one that included cross country skiing in Yellowstone.

So, Thanks!

Default Living Lahger und Lahger all de time!

I've bought 7 copies of Barbell Prescription. I was so cranked when the Kindle version came out so I could get one that was always accessible to me (that makes 8) - call me selfish.

-john

@Jonathon Sullivan, I have one criticism to offer re "The Barbell Prescription" -- It was annoying that you gave Wellness Will a girlfriend 21 years younger than Will, at the time that he dies at age 88 while hiking in the Scottish highlands. I hope if there's a second edition you will give your imaginary Wellness Will an imaginary age-appropriate girlfriend (or how about a wife?) who ALSO trains with barbells. If you're wanting to reach both men and women with your message, it might be best not to piss off half the people on page 2.

That bit being said, I want to add my thanks to you and Andy for the work that went into the book. Starting Strength and The Barbell Prescription are the most useful books I've had in my hands since at least 1985. I'm stoked. I trained for a few weeks in December, then had to take a break due to pneumonia, and began again Jan 18th and finished my 5th workout yesterday, feeling stronger and great! You've done excellent work, and I think we can all enjoy our lives more and burden Medicare less, as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-in-PHX View Post
    @Jonathon Sullivan, I have one criticism to offer re "The Barbell Prescription" -- It was annoying that you gave Wellness Will a girlfriend 21 years younger than Will, at the time that he dies at age 88 while hiking in the Scottish highlands. I hope if there's a second edition you will give your imaginary Wellness Will an imaginary age-appropriate girlfriend (or how about a wife?) who ALSO trains with barbells. If you're wanting to reach both men and women with your message, it might be best not to piss off half the people on page 2.

That bit being said, I want to add my thanks to you and Andy for the work that went into the book. Starting Strength and The Barbell Prescription are the most useful books I've had in my hands since at least 1985. I'm stoked. I trained for a few weeks in December, then had to take a break due to pneumonia, and began again Jan 18th and finished my 5th workout yesterday, feeling stronger and great! You've done excellent work, and I think we can all enjoy our lives more and burden Medicare less, as a result.
    I think we need to give an 88 year old "Ageless Amy" a 65 year old boy toy to even the score.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think we need to give an 88 year old "Ageless Amy" a 65 year old boy toy to even the score.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast