starting strength gym

Thread: Possible Shoulder Injury - training?

Default Possible Shoulder Injury - training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I searched the forums and I'm pretty sure I know what to do but wanted to run this by those of you with years of wisdom stacked up in your brain.

I was skiing all last week and on my second to last run of day four crashed hard while skiing through some cut up powder and crossed my tips. This resulted in doing a hard face plant and some slight right shoulder pain. I tore that rotator cuff about 10 years ago so you know what I'm thinking. After I got up my buddy and I did another lap before they shut down the lifts for the day and then went in for a beer. From that point forward the shoulder just got stiffer and stiffer to the point the next day I bagged skiing while it snowed all day long! Over the next couple of days the soreness when away but there is still some point pain if I move the arm certain ways.

Tonight is my first night back to training and I have heavy OHP and Light BPs on the plan. I was thinking of just doing warm ups with the OHP and see how it goes. If all good then maybe just light OHP and light BP for sets of 5 reps and call it good for the day. My main concern and I'm probably being paranoid here is if I did tear my stupid cuff again I don't want to make it worse. The recovery the last time from that surgery was not fun and took a long while.

General thoughts?

Any loss of range of motion? The clinical exam for rotator cuff is found here. Clinical Examination of the Rotator Cuff

Find Rip’s shoulder rehab video and follow that protocol for a bit and see if you can’t get through it and get rid of the pain. I’ve torn both of mine so know all about the standard recovery. Next time I’m following Rip’s protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Imel View Post
    Any loss of range of motion? The clinical exam for rotator cuff is found here. Clinical Examination of the Rotator Cuff

Find Rip’s shoulder rehab video and follow that protocol for a bit and see if you can’t get through it and get rid of the pain. I’ve torn both of mine so know all about the standard recovery. Next time I’m following Rip’s protocol.
    I was able to do a light day of Presses on Wednesday with only a slight bit of discomfort not even sure I would call it pain but I could tell it was there. I'll check out that video. I should have done that first.

Great video and I agree with Rip when I was recovering from my rotator cuff surgery I was so surprised by the level of pain. His video on recovery was excellent and interestingly in many ways but with a slightly different method my PT did very similar things to recover the range of motion. Rather than the rings he simply forced my arm over my head in what could probably be considered torture but it freed the shoulder up from what was essentially frozen in place. Once they got the range back in that he could force it over my head more easily they actually had me starting to lift weights.

I don't think I've torn anything. I did a heavy day of bench pressing and light OHP on Saturday and all was good. Yesterday I did light squats but was concerned about the shoulder not liking holding the bar back there so I started out with just hanging from the chin bar for while and all was well. Then I did deadlifts and no problems at all. There is only a small area now where the shoulder joint squawks and that area is getting smaller every day.

Here is the link.

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe