starting strength gym

Thread: Muddling through despite back troubles...

Default Muddling through despite back troubles...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi fellow geezers!

I haven't made an update for a while, but I wanted to share some updates and progress for the fall and winter thus far.

It has been a mixed bag for me lifting-wise, since I was diagnosed with a herniated disc last summer. Long story short I have had two rounds of anti-inflammatory steroids since August, but I am not out of the woods yet and I'm seeing my spine guy again this week.

I have made some attempts at light DLs recently, but they always make my back worse so I continue to lay off.

With squats I tend to load, de-load, and load again, as my back allows, so I am not healthy there yet either.

It has been frustrating but I'm actually feeling pretty happy and optimistic about the future. I went over my workout notes going back to last March and I discovered some cool things that I kind of forgot about.

When I started this program almost a year ago I couldn't do a chin up without weight assistance. I can now do sets of 4-3-3 working my way to my first ever sets of 5-5-5, won't that be cool?

Last Friday I did my first ever work set on BP at 200lbs. I got 5 reps out of the first set and then it was downhill from there (ha) but still a first-ever for me.

My presses have gone up consistently and very gradually, so I'm at 125 right now. In a couple more weeks I should hit 135.

So yeah, you can see by my numbers that I am small and weak. It is obvious that my 2018 goal is all about my back, which is a glaring weakness. Still, even with all the disappointments I've had there's a lot of good news too.

Welcome back, and hang in there!
    As always, start where you are and go from there.
    Easy to say, hard to do... but if you can, you're unstoppable.