starting strength gym

Thread: Parent wants to "make this old carcass last another 25 years"

Default Parent wants to "make this old carcass last another 25 years"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My dad is a 63 year old veterinarian/cowboy and has all the abuse you would expect from fixing large animals for 30+ years. He has stayed is relatively good shape through the years from lots of manual labor (hauling hay etc). He made a commented recently in a phone call that "I need to start going to the gym because my back is shot and I need to make this ole carcass last another 25 years".

I would love for him to start barbell training (like we all wish our parents would do) but need to get him good information that is accessible (preferably in print). He's not much of an internet consumer, so I was thinking of sending him a copy of The Barbell Prescription. I haven't read the book, but based on the Contents provided on Amazon, it seems like Part 1 of the book will be a good starting place. Any suggestions/input on what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks

From what you describe of your father, he is not the average bear that Sully and Andy warn against letting yourself decline into. He seems in fair shape. Which is not to say he would not benefit greatly from reading the book. I'd start by talking to him about lifting and getting a sense of his willingness to give it at least a try. If he seems amenable to the idea, tell him about the book and offer to get it for him as a gift.

The book is excellent and takes an older trainee from the beginning even into competing if the bug bites him.

Yes, 63 myself. The Barbell Prescription is an excellent place to start. I highly recommend as well.
    Strong people are harder to break, as Rip would say.
    At 61, I was in pretty bad shape, very dependent on canes and in a lot of pain (knee and back). Now, not so much.
    Great return on your time.
    Good luck!

I'm 60 definitely Barbell Prescription!

Buy it for him. The book isn’t just motivational - it is instructional as well. And a really interesting read.

As a vet, he may very well be intrigued by the science aspect of the first part, which may be a sell for the second part.

If he does any internet at all you could send him some of the impressive stories of some of the SSC's geezer clients.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm about to turn 62. This article by Rip really spoke to me about weight training and the elderly. It makes a good case for why weight training is the best route:
    Cardell and Dr. Coleman | Mark Rippetoe