Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
I'm not sure of her programming regarding the number of sets (typically 3 for SS isn't it?), but sets of 3's work well for women. In her case she is only lifting the bar, so sets of 3 are probably going to work best for her. Frankly I would recommend some additional dumbbell work too for sets of 6-8 reps for hypertrophy.

Regarding breathing, if I'm pressing lighter weights for say 5 reps, I'll typically hold my breath for 2-3 reps, then another breath at the bottom to finish. My bench is opposite. Rest/breathing is at the top.
It looks like she is doing 5x5 instead of the recommended NLP 5 reps X 3 sets ( as you say, there is something in BP which suggests women can utilise 3 reps X 5 sets, but that they should generally follow the NLP recommendations.

I use the bounce off the bottom, if I try and breath at that point I lose the bounce and it becomes more difficult after each subsequent rep. Anyway, your version seems to work for you. I never hold my breath on the press as I did this once in warm up sets and nearly fainted. Then I re-read SS and it warns against doing so for that very reason.