starting strength gym

Thread: OK to spread workout exercises across 2 days?

Default OK to spread workout exercises across 2 days?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 59 yo male, starting out. I want to allow 2 -3 days of recovery between sessions, and have a limited time window at the gym, so have started doing all 3 exercises on Saturday, then on Tuesday squat, and Wednesday do press and deadlift. Am I losing any 'training benefits' by only doing a portion of my workout on Tuesday, and the rest Wednesday?

If the choice is to get the training in the way you are doing it or skimp on training, then you are doing the right thing. I wouldn't worry about what I'm not getting. Focus on what you are getting. Your body will give you the feedback to know that you are making progress. For what it is worth, I split my workouts all the time. Sometimes doing the squat and deadlift in the morning and press and chinups later in the day, and sometimes splitting the to two different days. Time in the gym is hard to find sometimes. Get it where you can.

I'd have you split the "upper" vs. the "lower" volume of your second session. So instead of deadlifting the day after squats (yuck!) it would look like this:

Saturday:
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

Tuesday:
    Bench
    Chin-ups (or pull-downs)

Wednesday:
    Squat
    Deadlift

Default Thanks!

Great, thanks Adam & 'PizzaDad' - I'll 'tweak' my routine. Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'd have you split the "upper" vs. the "lower" volume of your second session. So instead of deadlifting the day after squats (yuck!) it would look like this:

Saturday:
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

Tuesday:
    Bench
    Chin-ups (or pull-downs)

Wednesday:
    Squat
    Deadlift

I'm 59. I do one main lift a day plus accessory work. Squat twice a week, deadlift or accessory deadlift once and press once or twice.