starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “I’m not into lifting weights anymore”

Default “I’m not into lifting weights anymore”

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is what I have heard from two people I talk to about lifting. I guess they use to lift, but I guess they are more into cardio than getting stronger.

I don’t get it what’s the bad thing about weights?

It's hard work and requires discipline.

(But truthfully, so does metabolic training done with a high level of effort.)

Nothing. It is far easier to loosen up the brain and resort to mindless repetitions of the same shit that eventually makes you too tired to continue.

As opposed to grabbing a bar, taking a deep breath, pushing, pulling, or shouldering the bar, and defeating gravity under some considerable load.

Bars hurt. Especially when heavy.

Feet hurt too. Eventually.

My guess is that they use to lift wrong too.

One guy has tried to get me to workout with him. He said something of the line of "you know you've workout after we're done."
    I turned him down and offered him to come lift some in my garage. He turned me down.

The guy I talk to tonight said he use to do cardio and lift when he was in the military. Now he is more into cardio and working on his upper body(whatever that means).
    I just stopped talking.

Depends where you are I suppose. I can't say I'm into lifting weights either, it's pretty hard and often painful. I do it because I believe it's the best way to stay alive and enjoy life. If there was an easier way to achieve the same thing I would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post

One guy has tried to get me to workout with him. He said something of the line of "you know you've workout after we're done."
    I turned him down and offered him to come lift some in my garage. He turned me down.

The guy I talk to tonight said he use to do cardio and lift when he was in the military. Now he is more into cardio and working on his upper body(whatever that means).
    I just stopped talking.
    I'm 60 now and I tried many times in my life to strength train and would quit after a while. It wasn't until I found Starting Strength that I actually had a model that worked. I suspect many people wouldn't give up if they knew about the success they would have if they gave SS a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post

I just stopped talking.
    That means that you were talking to " 'skips leg day' guy".

One of my closest friend is in terrible shape and he's younger than I am. He was in great shape when he played football many years ago. Even though I've encouraged him to get back into the gym he demurs by saying that weight lifting is for the young. He came by train to visit me a couple of years ago. When I drove to pick him up I was surprised at how much out of shape he had become. I was parked about 2 blocks away. I took his bags and he followed me toward the car. He walked very slowly and after about 1/2 block he asked to rest. I went ahead and loaded the car and brought it back to pick him up. We are all going to die but why my friend insists on dying this way I will never know. I wish he would get connected with my Chicago friend, Karl Schudt.

It is psychologically tough, if you were strong-ish once, to suck now. And after a layoff, we all suck. If the layoff was long, we suck a lot. If we are of a certain age, we know it will take a long time to stop sucking, if we ever do. And that's if other parts of life don't regularly interfere, and screw up our ability to show up. I've lost a week of training recently due to work and family issues, and the de training combined with being 55 mean it's gonna take a couple of weeks to be where I'd hoped to be, even this week. Multiply that over a number of months and you've spent a lot of gym time to stand still, or only regress a bit.

Not everyone wants to embrace that kind of ego-abrasion, or maybe can. And yeah, it must be worse yet when you really don't have a genuine program in the first place, or maybe are only training to "look good naked". I look better naked than most of the other late-middle aged guys in the showers at the Y, but "good" is a helluva stretch.

starting strength coach development program
    Although I've heard it many times, I can't understand the thinking. It can be difficult when the bar feels heavy and the joints ache, as Mark said.

I've not stopped lifting, except for my triceps surgery, in 28 years. Don't plan to stop until they throw dirt on my face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast