starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “I’m not into lifting weights anymore”

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Although I've heard it many times, I can't understand the thinking. It can be difficult when the bar feels heavy and the joints ache, as Mark said.

I've not stopped lifting, except for my triceps surgery, in 28 years. Don't plan to stop until they throw dirt on my face.
    That’s the spirit, Oldster. I just started 6 years ago, but I’m never going to quit!

Even in old age, we can still spend most of our time getting stronger even if it's just recovering from a setback.

Being in the state of getting stronger is way more fun than being in the state of getting weaker.

It could be that they really are just not into lifting weights anymore. They're just not that into the barbell.

I was enrolled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a few years back. After a while I found myself bored with it. I stopped going. Some BJJ folks think people quit because <insert deep character flaw here>. After all, why would you ever quit BJJ?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    After all, why would you ever quit BJJ?
    cauliflower ear?

I can see that. Sometimes ya just get burned out on stuff. Only problem is that they think they are getting to old to lift.
    I can’t even talk my dad into lifting, but he loves his treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Being in the state of getting stronger is way more fun than being in the state of getting weaker.
    Perfect!

I started lifting when i was about 13 years old. I did the 3 sets of 10, 3 times a week for several years. Then i started adding exercises and sets. I was always fit but not particularly strong. I never learned to squat properly until 4 years ago. There was a period of time in my late 20's and in my early 40's where i didnt lift. And in both of those time periods i got fat and soft and weak and was generally less heathy. I dont plan to stop until my heart gives out id rather get buried by a heavy squat than to waste away, frail and afraid of falling.

I would say that I am not into setting PR's anymore. I turned 69 in December and I just don't have the desire to struggle uncomfortably with anything anymore. I still lift, but I also cycle and hike. So I guess my lifting is more like exercise than training. Getting weaker is an unavoidable consequence of getting older. You can delay the inevitable but not overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I would say that I am not into setting PR's anymore. I turned 69 in December and I just don't have the desire to struggle uncomfortably with anything anymore. I still lift, but I also cycle and hike. So I guess my lifting is more like exercise than training. Getting weaker is an unavoidable consequence of getting older. You can delay the inevitable but not overcome it.
    If you got yourself to the point by training that you can enjoy more hiking and cycling....how can that be bad? You should do more of what you enjoy.

All of this gets philosophical, although with absolute practical implications. For instance there seems to me a substantial asymmetry (for us geezers) with the respect to gains (typically incremental) versus possibilities for injury (really problematic) which could result in losses of all gains and then some.

starting strength coach development program
    Who knows why? I do both. I hate running, and now I'm horrible at it, but I still do it. Why? One reason is because there isn't any better or faster way for me to loose weight and trim up than by running, period, amen. Lifting weights moves my body weight around - I have gained a belt hole or two from lifting mostly, but still weigh the same. If I want to lose weight, running gets me there.

Also, it is good for my lung capacity and endurance. Especially where I'm not singing as much any more (and that is ... very physical, at least the way I do it), it's a good way to keep that part of me in shape.

Lastly, I do cardio-focused work as well as weight training because I have a heart problem, and my doctors advise me to do it. Yes, there is a cardio sort-of component to lifting weights. But since I only lift twice a week (57, can't recover to do every other day), running/jogging/walking/stepping helps me keep active and keep the ticker pushing on.

It seems to me people *should* do both. I am looking forward to getting back to swimming - that's my favorite - when I go on to my next assignment in a month or two. But I also get why some folks would forego weights and focus on cardio. I don't think it's one or the other. Especially as you start getting up there, it's all good. Anything that keeps you from the long slow decline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12