starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boll@x knackered my shoulder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I'm not saying what you have might not be something to be concerned about, but I get weird aches and pains fairly often. They seem to disappear as quickly as they appear. I think these issues come with old age

Just yesterday doing squats, my right arm started hurting at the biceps and elbow joint and felt really weak. Carried on with my workout and it got better. Still feel it today, but no where near as bad.

In your case try doing a few very light, non-supinated dumbbell hammer curls. Works wonders for me when my biceps and elbows act up. Did that yesterday and it helped a lot.
    Laugh: yeah that's true, but then you appear to be doing squats incorrectly if you are using your arms. Try quads and hamstrings- far easier ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    1" either side of the knurling. So, 18" ? I don't flare. Taught myself not to during press ups. Keep elbows in tight at all times.
    Hm, almost a close grip bench press then. So form is unlikely to be a contributor to your problem.

You getcha some Tiger Balm heya? They have that in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hm, almost a close grip bench press then. So form is unlikely to be a contributor to your problem.

You getcha some Tiger Balm heya? They have that in the UK?
    They do indeed. We call it deep heat, which sounds vaguely sexual.
    Yes, close grip. I realised I should have an even closer grip on the press yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    They do indeed. We call it deep heat, which sounds vaguely sexual.
    Yes, close grip. I realised I should have an even closer grip on the press yesterday.
    Hey, didn't you say you finally got your wife to record a squat video? Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Hey, didn't you say you finally got your wife to record a squat video? Where is it?
    I was able to diagnose my problem. It was not keeping the chest up. The cue to use 'hip drahve' was overriding the need to keep the back angle set, so I was doing a fair impression of a good morning. Now I set my back on the decent and cue a lift of the bar rather than hips-it has the effect of cancelling out the good morning. As of today my squat is at 155lbs, so going in the right direction slowly.

Also, so far, bar a few twinges, my shoulder seems to be holding up-at least under squat, press and DL. Will see how it performs on bench Wednesday.

lying in bed hurt my shoulders. Some days after I press my shoulders hurt. Pull-ups hurt my shoulders. I usually have less shoulder pain after I bench press. At age 70, being alive hurts. Screw it. Keep lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crosby View Post
    lying in bed hurt my shoulders. Some days after I press my shoulders hurt. Pull-ups hurt my shoulders. I usually have less shoulder pain after I bench press. At age 70, being alive hurts. Screw it. Keep lifting.
    I've generally been very fortunate that I haven't had many of the joint aches and pains that many of my friends have on a consistent basis. One of them has developed brachial neuritis very recently during a lifting session and is in a lot of pain. However, my mum is in her 80s and is still working, looking after several young children and a guy in his mid 70s. She broke her foot and wrist just before Christmas and still got on a train and travelled up to us for Christmas. She is even considering barbell training - inspirational.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12