starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boll@x knackered my shoulder

Default Boll@x knackered my shoulder

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Did my bench warm ups as usual and feeing strong. Then all of a sudden my right shoulder goes numb and I can't lift my arm above shoulder height without some pain in the front of my shoulder. I carry on as it isn't too bad during the warm up lifts. I hit target weight and start the work lifts, it goes fine for 3 reps then suddenly the shoulder goes dead and I can't lift it. I'm in a panic, but then it comes back to life and I complete the set. I rest and start the second set, but by the third rep I can feel the numbness coming on so I decide not to continue. I go off and do the dead lifts, but notice I'm struggling top lift the plates off the top pegs and have to use my left arm to provide support.

What's happened ? Is that just a sprain or something worse ? Never had an issue with my shoulder to date.

Where do you feel this, around the front by the collarbone? If so, it could be the acromioclavicular (or AC) is inflamed. I used to get this a lot some years ago until I cleaned up my hand spacing and form on the bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Where do you feel this, around the front by the collarbone? If so, it could be the acromioclavicular (or AC) is inflamed. I used to get this a lot some years ago until I cleaned up my hand spacing and form on the bench press.
    It feels right in the shoulder at the front. I can use my thumb to feel the sore point and it definitely feels muscular. I can do anything at low level, but as soon as I'm at mid point of the arm lifting it goes numb and weak. Beyond that it's not too bad.

I dunno for sure, but it does sound like the AC to me. As soon as my elbow would get to around 90 degrees medial from my rib cage, things started to feel not so good. Painful rather than numb in my own case.

How wide is your hand spacing when you bench?

I can feel it if I do a bicep flex.

That's a new one in my own experience. So flexing your elbow makes it flare up? Or do you mean just a static tightening of the biceps without closing the joint?

That's a new one in my own experience. So flexing your elbow makes it flare up? Or do you mean just a static tightening of the biceps without closing the joint?
    Static tightening of the bicep, or reaching for something at sitting height. Very odd, it's like a dead arm. I can pinpoint it exactly. It's just as the shoulder muscle ends at the front. If I press on it then I can support it enough that there is only minor pain when moving the joint. Got a couple of days off to see if it will heal over the week end. Might have to give the presses a miss and just do the squats and deads. Damn. These things always happen when making progress. I PRd on squats and bench today, but couldn't complete the reps on the bench because it might have resulted in more damage-stupid thing was I was more than happy with the weight, it didn't feel at all like I was struggling until the shoulder suddenly went dead.

Let me ask you again. How wide is your hand spacing on the bench, and do you flare your elbows out at 90 degrees from your torso when you bench?

I'm not saying what you have might not be something to be concerned about, but I get weird aches and pains fairly often. They seem to disappear as quickly as they appear. I think these issues come with old age

Just yesterday doing squats, my right arm started hurting at the biceps and elbow joint and felt really weak. Carried on with my workout and it got better. Still feel it today, but no where near as bad.

In your case try doing a few very light, non-supinated dumbbell hammer curls. Works wonders for me when my biceps and elbows act up. Did that yesterday and it helped a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    Let me ask you again. How wide is your hand spacing on the bench, and do you flare your elbows out at 90 degrees from your torso when you bench?
    1" either side of the knurling. So, 18" ? I don't flare. Taught myself not to during press ups. Keep elbows in tight at all times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast