starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for Dr. Sullivan: Medicine, Coaching, and Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sully,

Do you have a favorite Concept2 Rower interval (or other HIIT) workout that you might share? If so, could you give us the interval / rest time and number of cycles to be performed? (Or distance / rest if that's your preference.)

I realize Tabata's are tough to perform on a rower due to the "rest" period on the return...so was wondering what you feel gives the best bang for the buck in terms of conditioning with this apparatus.

Many thanks in advance.

My info: Male, 65, 5'10", 175 lbs. Supplementing my Mon / Thurs strength training sessions with 2 - 3 weekly sessions on the rower per "The Barbell Prescription".

Dr. Sullivan has been my strength coach when he was trying to determine the best way to train master athletes. I started with him in March of 2013 and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I hope I was and am of some help to him in his adventure from his dream to backing off from ER service to becoming full time in a successful business and really a ministry. I've seen him collapse from near exhaustion and watched him learn new coaching skills. Before he became full-time coach he saw me in the ER and helped me eventually conquer a cough while respectfully consulting with my GP. Following his example in finding ones greater purpose one should not go wrong.

Carson's accolades are excessive, but my ego knows no bounds, so I'll gather them in gladly.

Blue, I'm not up on state-of-the art rower protocols. I have my people do power 10s:

What is a Power Ten? | Concept2

In brief, they row slowly until the top of the minute, then do 10 strokes as hard and fast a possible, then row slowly until the top of the minute.

They suck.

I much prefer to put people on the prowler; rower is reserved for those who want to use it, but I'm not an authority on it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Carson's accolades are excessive, but my ego knows no bounds, so I'll gather them in gladly.

Blue, I'm not up on state-of-the art rower protocols. I have my people do power 10s:

In brief, they row slowly until the top of the minute, then do 10 strokes as hard and fast a possible, then row slowly until the top of the minute.

They suck.

I much prefer to put people on the prowler; rower is reserved for those who want to use it, but I'm not an authority on it at all.
    Thank you, sir. I appreciate the reply. Sucking is what it's all about. Kinda like that 5th deadlift rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post

They suck.

Tried them out today for a ten minute workout. I liked the routine quite a bit but I think I'm going to have to cut the slow row time down somewhat and increase the frequency of the Power 10 count. I only managed to get the heart rate up to about 128 bpm where I usually can get into the low 140's on a few other interval schemes.

Thanks again, Sully. Great to have another tool for the toolbox.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12