starting strength gym

Thread: Question on progress with Heavy Light program as noted in The Barbell Presciption

Question Question on progress with Heavy Light program as noted in The Barbell Presciption

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been doing the program for a number of cycles now. It’s based on a three-week cycle with the 1st week sets of 5 reps for the heavy days, the second week sets of 3 and the last week heavy singles. What I’ve noticed is that my gains for the 1st week sets of 5 reps are increasing albeit very slowly. However my gains on the second and third weeks of the program are going up quite nicely. Every week I am setting PRs but much more so on the 2nd and 3rd weeks than the 1st. Is this normal for this program? Or is some adjustment needed. I’m thinking not as I don’t want to mess with success but needed to ask.

If you are new to doing heavy 3s and singles, you might be gaining skill at them, as well as growing new muscle.

At some point, the gains for all rep ranges ought to be about even, as you'll only set PRs due to new muscle growth.

I'm not clear about what you mean exactly. Are you failing reps on the 5's weeks or just feeling that you're struggling harder? If you can keep adding weight to the 5's week every cycle, do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'm not clear about what you mean exactly. Are you failing reps on the 5's weeks or just feeling that you're struggling harder? If you can keep adding weight to the 5's week every cycle, do so.
    I am new to sets of 3 and 1.

I am able to add weight with all the sets however I've noticed that for sets of five I can add maybe one and possibly two pounds where with the sets of 3 and 1 I've been able to add more like 2 and even 3 pounds as each cycle comes around. So the rate of increase is greater with the sets of 3 and 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I am new to sets of 3 and 1.

I am able to add weight with all the sets however I've noticed that for sets of five I can add maybe one and possibly two pounds where with the sets of 3 and 1 I've been able to add more like 2 and even 3 pounds as each cycle comes around. So the rate of increase is greater with the sets of 3 and 1.
    I think you didn't understand my question, Steve. I'm trying to understand how you determined that you could only add 2-3 lbs on the sets of 5? Did you fail reps? Did it just feel heavy?

I think you didn't understand my question, Steve. I'm trying to understand how you determined that you could only add 2-3 lbs on the sets of 5? Did you fail reps? Did it just feel heavy?
    Ah failed reps if I went higher.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Ah failed reps if I went higher.
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Now, what weights did you start with for each of the rep ranges and where are you at now?

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Now, what weights did you start with for each of the rep ranges and where are you at now?
    Well well well...my observation did not stand up to the actual data. I just went through my log and my increases for 5s,3s and 1s are actually very similar. Thanks for pressing on this question and getting down to actual data rather than perception.

Sooner or later you will start missing reps so just hold the weight there for that week until you do make the reps.
    Some resources if you have not read them giving more detail on programming and running HLM templates:
    HLM Simplified Part 1 (just click through to parts 2 and 3)
    HLM Hacks
    5 ways to 5x5
    HLM Q&A

You can also view some videos:
    HLM Confusion
    HLM Getting Unstuck on Heavy Day
    HLM Programming

Good luck,
    Pete

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Egener View Post
    Sooner or later you will start missing reps so just hold the weight there for that week until you do make the reps.
    Some resources if you have not read them giving more detail on programming and running HLM templates:
    HLM Simplified Part 1 (just click through to parts 2 and 3)
    HLM Hacks
    5 ways to 5x5
    HLM Q&A

You can also view some videos:
    HLM Confusion
    HLM Getting Unstuck on Heavy Day
    HLM Programming

Good luck,
    Pete
    Ohhh...thanks for this! More data, I love data.