starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people started barbell training in their sixties

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by misterponytail View Post
    How's your protein intake? Getting good sleep?

Doug-in-Tucson
    Both less than ideal. Although last night I did sleep 7.5 hours, for the first time in years -- evidently my training stress is enough now, to make me need the sleep! (My "normal" pre-SS was anywhere between 3 and 5.5 hours.) Sleep has been gradually improving over the several weeks I've been lifting.

Protein intake - for my first 6 weeks on the program I've been doing 115g pro per day, and total calories 1800. (I'm currently well overweight, so I'm not trying to gain weight but would like to increase lean mass while reducing fat mass.) After 6 weeks I'd seen no change in body composition or waist measurement, so I went to 1910 calories, and shooting for 130g pro within that -- but I fall short many days and the extra calories have been mostly carb instead. Planning to tighten up on the carbs again, starting today (I'm out of pretzels now - ha!) Need to learn some decent-tasting ways to use whey protein powder.

Any suggestions?

BTW, when I saw my doctor last week and tried to talk to him about what I've been doing with SS and nutrition, he interrupted and urged me to go to 1500 calories per day, and to drop the strength training and do cardio 7 days a week, instead. Six months ago, when we discussed my bone density, I asked him whether squats and deadlifts would help, and he said, no, just walk instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-in-PHX View Post
    BTW, when I saw my doctor last week and tried to talk to him about what I've been doing with SS and nutrition, he interrupted and urged me to go to 1500 calories per day, and to drop the strength training and do cardio 7 days a week, instead. Six months ago, when we discussed my bone density, I asked him whether squats and deadlifts would help, and he said, no, just walk instead.
    That is so sad!

Both less than ideal. Although last night I did sleep 7.5 hours
    I usually get about that much myself. Of course, I get up a couple times in the night to use the bathroom. Sigh...

Protein intake - for my first 6 weeks on the program I've been doing 115g pro per day
    I don't think I saw your weight listed anywhere, but that seems a bit low to me. I've been doing the 1g/1lb level myself which means 260g/day for me. That's basically five meals of 50g each, which means I do a lot of meal prep. I have a Traeger grill, so my wife and I will cook up half a bag of Costco boneless skinless chicken thighs on Sunday and that will be the extra meals each day. FWIW, I used to weigh almost 280, and when I added in the chicken and rice meals on top of everything else, I lost weight! I must have been in starvation/conservation mode or something and those extra calories kicked me out of it.

A chiropractor here in town has a bodpod, so we started going in to get a more objective measurement than the mirror provides. (I was 22% fat, now I'm 14.1...) They have pretty nice pricing structure; if we go in once a month, it's only about twenty bucks each time when we pay in advance.

Need to learn some decent-tasting ways to use whey protein powder.

Any suggestions?
    Some days, I'll eat well and get enough protein from chicken, beef and/or fish, so I won't use protein powder at all on those days. It's usually when we stay until the gym closes and we don't want to stay up even later making a "real" meal that I make protein shakes for us. My wife has three or four different flavors of protein powder, so that keeps us from getting in a rut.

I know there are differing opinions on this, but I really like having a scoop of carb powder in my pre-workout drink and some in my intra-workout drink as well. That really keeps me going in the gym...

Wowsers. Sigh. My primary care guy is pretty much the same way. He's the skinny road bike rider type and I think that drives his attitude. (Not a *completely* bad thing, mind you.) I think I'll show him Joe Friel's Fast After 50 book. Simplistically, it says that you have to add weight training to keep your metabolism up. I really don't believe that dieting and LSD are the right answer.

I also recommend Frank Comstock's Antiaging 101 book. Have you had your estradial level checked? I think a low level is associated with a reduction in bone density. It might be worth the trip down here to have an appointment with Dr. Comstock...

I suggest you change Doctors.

Both less than ideal. Although last night I did sleep 7.5 hours, for the first time in years -- evidently my training stress is enough now, to make me need the sleep! (My "normal" pre-SS was anywhere between 3 and 5.5 hours.) Sleep has been gradually improving over the several weeks I've been lifting.

Protein intake - for my first 6 weeks on the program I've been doing 115g pro per day, and total calories 1800. (I'm currently well overweight, so I'm not trying to gain weight but would like to increase lean mass while reducing fat mass.) After 6 weeks I'd seen no change in body composition or waist measurement, so I went to 1910 calories, and shooting for 130g pro within that -- but I fall short many days and the extra calories have been mostly carb instead. Planning to tighten up on the carbs again, starting today (I'm out of pretzels now - ha!) Need to learn some decent-tasting ways to use whey protein powder.

Any suggestions?
    Have you ever tried any of the protein chips or pudding? I use those, in addition to the meat, to reach my protein numbers. And I actually like the taste of it.

Will be 61 in a couple of weeks and have been lifting about a year now. New to the forum and starting strength. Only a little way into the book so far.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I suggest you change Doctors.
    At least remember that it is "your health and your call". The Doctor works for you, which further means if he needs to be fired... you fire him.

I don't take investment advice from my auto mechanic.

Dr Sullivan's guidance on healthy aging is the gold standard. My doctor and auto mechanic... not so much, I listen politely (usually), and try not to laugh.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome Geazer
    You will probably fit right in here.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast