starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How many people started barbell training in their sixties

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy-in-PHX View Post
    Oh Yeah, Jennifer, I got the cheddar chips and the chocolate pudding, and I liked both. The chips seem to have more whey, but both are tasty. I'm currently waiting for my second order to be delivered by Amazon -- chocolate pudding and cheddar chips again, and trying a second flavor of the chips. So thanks a lot for the recommendations!
    Fantastic! I’m so happy to hear it. I’m a big fan of the pudding. For the chips, my two favorites are the sea salt and the bbq flavored. The salt and vinegar were terrible. Anyhow, they’re good options for getting additional protein in the diet. They’ve got some good high protein pancake mix available as well.

Started Starting Strength at age 61, first time with a coach (SSOC), So first time getting really serious about, been “piddling” for years.

@drwillie
    Very good. Did you just start with the SSOC? I would be interested in hearing about your experience with the SSOC. I have been thinking about trying that myself.

I started some weight training a couple of years ago at the age of 61, but have only recently realised how much more to it there is. I have been using a Inspire FT2 cable machine that my son got me, along with some dumbbells. I have definitely seen an improvement in my overall shape, but any muscle development and strength has been really slow. I am 6 ' 1" and 182 lbs, with a body fat of around 13% and in the correct lighting could almost be taken for ever so slightly muscular. However, at my age I'm less into looking good, and more about not falling over. Having stumbled across Mark Rippetoe's videos on youtube (which I found very entertaining) I have bought the Starting Strength Book and am currently reading Barbell Prescription, which is very good. So, as yet, I do not have any barbells, but I am now thinking about building a small gym in the back yard to let me put in a Power Rack, and really start doing, the squats, deadlifts and bench press the way the book says. I can do these on the Inspire FT2, but is it obviously not the correct way, or as effective.

I am a vegetarian (only for the last 2 years), but easily meet the grams per lb of body weight of protein by using whey protein, dairy, nuts etc. However, after dieting to shed off the body fat, I am now trying to increase my body weight again (slowly) so that I maximise the amount of muscle and not fat.

My wife and I are looking after our baby granddaughter 4 days a week, 10 hours a day, so I have to cram my 3 days of training into the weekend - so not ideal. However, she seems to provide more of a work out than the equipment does. I just want to keep my strength and health up, so I can see her grow up and hopefully see her children - I'm hoping this program will help me achieve that goal !!

I started SS training at 66, now 69. The LP progression was not easy at first but Sully kept yelling at me and I gradually got better. I am now working a heavily modified intermediate program which is very comfortable. My PRs are 225 squat, 230 dead, 155 bench and 107 press. Last December, my right knee and hip gave out on me and I have been limited to press and bench when the hip feels good enough to perform. Future medical appointments will determine if hip surgery is indicated. BTW, my body weight has dropped from about 220 to 190. My primary care is quite happy with the results.

The Big Girl is the real success story. She started training with Sully when she was 65, now 68. She weighed 107 and appeared to suffer from wasting disease. She also had osteopenia, well on her way to osteoporosis. She took to training like a duck to water. She has become a real gym rat (as is brother-in-law Carson) and builds her schedule around training. Her weight has increased to 117 with some interesting body construction results. Her waist is even smaller than it was at 107, but her upper body has really shaped up. All that added muscle means she had to go shopping for many new clothes. She has also developed a set of guns that won't quit. Her PRs are 130 squat, 165 dead, 65 press and 65 bench. No more osteopenia either.

starting strength coach development program
    Started lifting (SS) a couple of months ago at 71. Through the years I'd jogged, biked, tiny bursts of P90X, and rowed a fair amount, as exercise. Huge DVT in left leg about 10 years ago. Got a pacemaker a couple of years ago (completely irrelevant, actually, except I can't/don't do power cleans). Correct SS form is essential and is not obvious or easy; getting at least a couple of sessions of GOOD (SS) coaching is absolutely necessary. Do NOT enter upon this very important business (see "The Barbell Prescription") without getting it right. And, of course, read and reread and reread the blue book.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678