starting strength gym

Thread: How Does LP End?

Default How Does LP End?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I;ve beeb wondering what “the end” of strength training will look like. I understand the LP can last a long time with 8 oz washers and more rest, but nothing lasts forever, right? I want to know what the end of LP might look like.

My guess is you don’t wake up one day unable to add another pound to the bar. Likely it starts with a missed rep here and there, compromised form, and lack of enthusiasm. Maybe you abandon LP and just keep lifting the same weight. But while you can cut frequency, sets and reps, at some point you just have to take some weight off the bar.

Any SSCs who train geezers, please share your thoughts. Dr. Sullivan?

BTW…I’m 62 currently using HLM on a 10 day week. (M-Sa-W) Linear Progression still working fine. 5# increments on DL and Squat; 1-2# on OHP and Bench. Pretty sure I ain’t dead yet!

I'm anxious to hear what the experts have to say but I'll share this. As you get closer to "the end" you are more and more sensitive to "the three questions". Early in lp, it's all foot loose and fancy free with seemingly easy gains.
    Also have your form checked. Fixing form issues will get you more "mileage". Get a starting strength coach to look at you.

I'm not a coach but have been at this for 5 years. I too use the HLM. My LP ended after about 7 months, when I reached what seemed like a peak and when I had to deload 2 or 3 times even with micro plates. I have made gains since but not nearly as quickly. The axiom goes something like this: LP means you are making gains every session. Intermediate means one makes gains every month or so. I'm 71.

BTW When does LP end? As Eliot might say "not with a whimper but a bang." I hope he forgives me for my loose application.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm not a coach but have been at this for 5 years. I too use the HLM. My LP ended after about 7 months, when I reached what seemed like a peak and when I had to deload 2 or 3 times even with micro plates. I have made gains since but not nearly as quickly. The axiom goes something like this: LP means you are making gains every session. Intermediate means one makes gains every month or so. I'm 71.

BTW When does LP end? As Eliot might say "not with a whimper but a bang." I hope he forgives me for my loose application.
    Well put. I'm 65 and about 6 months into LP. (I was lifting regularly for years but not adding weight to the bar on a regular basis for the last few.)

I'm very near the end of LP to the point where I'm having to grind for small gains. (I'm pleased with overall progress though. I've added 125 lbs to the deadlift during this period...though I don't mind admitting that I approach each new deadlift session with a bit of trepidation now. LOL!)

I'm still going to ride it out as long as possible but I don't think it will be long before I'll have to switch it up some.

To the OP, I think your summation is largely correct and that your mind / body will tell you when it's time. I know mine is starting to...

If your question is 'How long can I increase my strength?" there is a nice, long thread on this in The Elderly group in 2015 here. The consensus seemed to be that we are better off if we always take the attitude that we can get stronger. Life happens and we go backwards for a time then we go at it again, seeking to get stronger.

If your question is "How long can I stay on the official Linear Progression?" it sounds like you are already off of it as you are doing HLM. As Carson said, "LP means you are making gains every session."