starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking about the value of beginning

Default Talking about the value of beginning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know we've all run into these sorts of situations. Guidance / comments welcome.

TALKING TO OLD FRIENDS
    At a wake I ran into an "old friend". I had not spoken to him in over 40 years. He is 63. While I am the same age, I feel 20 years younger than he looks. Which in fairness, would have been reversed two years ago.

I credited Sully and Rip's books, spoke of the site and working out only twice a week.

IMHO:
    Actions are driven by convictions fueled by emotion. So understanding someone's "pain point" can facilitate action, which is way better than "oh, yeah, I should work out too".

The pain point was freely offered when he spoke of taking the grandkids to Disney World. That part was all good. But... then he mentioned "needing a wheelchair" to get around inside, he was all tears.

Pain point. Check.

A second clue came up when I told him about my "journey". He asked how long until you were out of pain?

I answered, well I started in April, and helped my Daughter and Son-in-law move out of a third floor apartment. I think I ran all the boxes to my trailer and unloaded most of them as well. That was in August, so a couple months.

VALUE PROPOSITION
    I described the program, and he's interested but in my view, I missed a chance for that "lightning rod moment".

For example: Let's say we start you off light with your squats with just the 45 pound bar, and we work on form.
    Every week you work out twice and add 5 pounds. So end of the first week is 50 pounds, 60 the next etc.

When your squat gets to
    - 50% of body weight for 3 sets of 5, there will be no wheel chair at Disney.
    - 70% of body weight, you could push a wheel chair for someone at Disney.
    - 90% of body weight, you'll be able to carry kids at Disney.
    - 100% of body weight, you'd rather go mountain biking or something more active.

Comments on my "scale"?

I'm at about 90% now, so I haven't experienced this whole scale. But it seems an accurate reflection of how I felt at each point.
    - 50% I did that move, I'd have needed to sit once in a while at Disney
    - 70% No big event but outside chores, like making a brick driveway were only annoying
    - 90% My plans are far more ambitious regarding my kayaking and camping adventures.
    - 100% while speculation, seems about where I'll fall.

Also 125% of BW feels very attainable at my age. And none of these are "for a single". I'd guess this is where you start "hiking the Scottish Highlands", LOL.

Many of us are at a place where we're excited about lifts of 3 or more wheels. But to a guy who knows nothing of this world, and needs a wheelchair at Disney, we need to be able to talk about something tangable and reachable for him. And there is plenty there, and the value is unbelievable.

There is plenty of value in going from 3 wheels to 4 wheels. There is no doubt.
    But it pales compared to going from 0 wheels to 1, or 1 to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    There is plenty of value in going from 3 wheels to 4 wheels. There is no doubt.
    But it pales compared to going from 0 wheels to 1, or 1 to 2.
    This. x 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    This. x 1000.
    No lie. That first wheel was awesome and as I inch closer to the second one I want all my family and friends to get excited with me but they just don’t get it.

Excellent! I wasn’t to a wheelchair but was headed there. I think your scale is darn close.

Cheezepuff, you are dead on! I'm at 90% having been at 100% BW before breaking my hip in a mountainbike fall. The recovery has been fast, thanks to 6 years of lifting. A hip break at 66 years old would be a serious issue if I hadn't been strong.

Cheezepuff,

Thank you for writing this post. As someone who has reached midlife gasping for air and wheezing my way back to the gym, I absolutely know the value of those benchmarks and their tangibility.

So much so that, Since working my way through my third "body transformation" in my lifetime, I have chosen to change careers and begin training others. The catalyst for this being not just my own life change, but that of both my parents and my in-laws. (70's and 80's respectively)

The post above that you started this thread with is absolutely perfect for putting the value of training into context. The ability to "paint a picture" is priceless when trying to bring the value of training into focus for someone else. (by value, I mean to them....not monetarily)

A wonderful post indeed. I look forward to using variations of it in the near future.

Sometimes by example change can happen. I am shocked but the wife has started going to the gym to do more than use the hydromassage machines. I am amazed. I wonder how far she will go. Yes, most just agree they should work out - whatever that means to them. But there are a few who have responded. He is not following the SS model but my best convert is my doctor. People aren't just listening. They are watching.

I hope you follow up with your old friend cheesepuff. Sometimes we could all use a little cheesepuff help.

Default 0 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    going from 0 wheels to 1
    I buried my father in law last week. It ripped my heart out. He died for many reasons but the clincher was falling down the stairs and never recovering. It turns out that being strong enough to keep your balance is important.

If only I had him doing just the bar (0 wheels). Shit.

The good news is that using this site, Rip's and Sully's books and an SSC, I've been able to "touch" other people's lives. Not everyone will listen but it makes sense to try. I wish I had tried harder with my FIL.

I rank targets by a) my chances of getting them on board and.. b) the amount of value it brings to them. My FIL was a low percentage (not likely to get in), high value (darn, he really needed it) "target".

It was a "swing and a miss" but my batting percentage is good if I can get just one person on board. My batting happens to be otherwise excellent and I am so grateful for Mark's ability and willingness to make us all "targets". People that I've brought in are bringing people in. THAT is success and it makes my FIL's passing just a little bit easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GammaFlat View Post
    I buried my father in law last week. It ripped my heart out. He died for many reasons but the clincher was falling down the stairs and never recovering. It turns out that being strong enough to keep your balance is important.
    My condolences! Stairs - Why do we have these things! How about everyone start building with just four inch risers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast