starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator-cuff recovery.

Default Rotator-cuff recovery.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Surgery was Mar 2015 but my right shoulder just doesn't seem to be able to get beyond 34# press or 64# BBL press. My right shoulder just runs out of steam fourth or fifth rep. I'm 72, 5'6", 173# my protein intake for the last 30 days averaged 92g/day. I saw Rip's video but had limited progress with it. My right bicep sags toward the elbow in contrast to my left bicep, this was the result of the surgery and not reconnecting that side because it wasn't deemed necessary by the surgeon! Is there any hope for progress? I use fractional weights else would not have been able to have progressed to the point I'm at now. Prior to the rotator-cuff tear I was pressing 85#-88# on BBL.

Quote Originally Posted by namrats66 View Post
    Surgery was Mar 2015 but my right shoulder just doesn't seem to be able to get beyond 34# press or 64# BBL press. My right shoulder just runs out of steam fourth or fifth rep. I'm 72, 5'6", 173# my protein intake for the last 30 days averaged 92g/day. I saw Rip's video but had limited progress with it. My right bicep sags toward the elbow in contrast to my left bicep, this was the result of the surgery and not reconnecting that side because it wasn't deemed necessary by the surgeon! Is there any hope for progress? I use fractional weights else would not have been able to have progressed to the point I'm at now. Prior to the rotator-cuff tear I was pressing 85#-88# on BBL.
    I normally lift Thur and Sun, plus DL on Wed.

Is there still pain when you lift? Do you have enough mobility in your shoulders to perform the lifts with proper technique?

I've had constant trouble with my rotator cuffs for years and it's causing problems with my OHP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Confusean View Post
    Is there still pain when you lift? Do you have enough mobility in your shoulders to perform the lifts with proper technique?
    Yes to both your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by namrats66 View Post
    Yes to both your questions.
    Correction - NO pain.

I've had shoulder problems for most of my life. At one point, I could barely lift my arm to parallel to the ground. Various doctor visits didn't really do much for a permanent solution. (Cortisone shots and Voltaren gel work great for a short period of time, but they certainly don't do anything to fix the real problem.)

I bought a copy of The Frozen Shoulder Workbook and started working through it. I came up with a warm-up routine that works for me: every time I do any upper body workout, I start with light (5 lb) dumbbell laterals, alternating sets with thumbs pointing up and thumbs pointing down, then move into the inner and outer elbow rotation exercises. I used to use the cable machine, standing, with the pulley set at elbow level, but now I actually prefer to grab a 5 lb dumbbell and lie on my side on a bench. I do 20 reps of outer rotation, then roll over, do the other arm, then switch the dumbbell to my other hand and do inner rotations, then roll over again and do the other arm. On shoulder day, I'll also use a band (I use the thin orange one from Elite FTS) and do various movements with it making sure to alternate palms up, palms down, each set. Being consistent with this has gotten me past a lot of pain and I have much better range of motion now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by misterponytail View Post
    I've had shoulder problems for most of my life. At one point, I could barely lift my arm to parallel to the ground. Various doctor visits didn't really do much for a permanent solution. (Cortisone shots and Voltaren gel work great for a short period of time, but they certainly don't do anything to fix the real problem.)

I bought a copy of The Frozen Shoulder Workbook and started working through it. I came up with a warm-up routine that works for me: every time I do any upper body workout, I start with light (5 lb) dumbbell laterals, alternating sets with thumbs pointing up and thumbs pointing down, then move into the inner and outer elbow rotation exercises. I used to use the cable machine, standing, with the pulley set at elbow level, but now I actually prefer to grab a 5 lb dumbbell and lie on my side on a bench. I do 20 reps of outer rotation, then roll over, do the other arm, then switch the dumbbell to my other hand and do inner rotations, then roll over again and do the other arm. On shoulder day, I'll also use a band (I use the thin orange one from Elite FTS) and do various movements with it making sure to alternate palms up, palms down, each set. Being consistent with this has gotten me past a lot of pain and I have much better range of motion now.
    I had five months of rehabilitation following my surgery and that included lots of pulley and stretch exercises all of which were essential to my being pain free to this day though I recently began experiencing right elbow pain from doing chin-ups.