starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blood pressure and melatonin

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thread is relevant to my interests.

48 y/o, 6'0 and 208, started training NLP for probably the 4th time in January (stopped the other three times after various injuries outside of training, new babies, etc.). BP was 135/80, occasionally going up to 140/80 when I had too much coffee.

NLP has gotten me to squat 305, bench 210, dead 345, press 145, and 3 sets of 5 chins with 45 pounds added. I was ~200 when I started, so up ~8 pounds in 4 months.

And yet my BP this weekend while sitting around was 160/95. Yesterday it was 150/90 when I went to my doc, he stuck me on losartan.

This is worrisome since I lift 3x a week, eat pretty clean, don't smoke, waist is 34 inches, not particularly stressed, etc. I've never had good cardio, ever, so I wonder how much of a contribution that is (I could probably count the number of times I ran more than a mile in my life on one hand).

Curious to keep reading folks' experiences here...

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    They have changed the guidelines so that they can prescribe more blood pressure meds. It's all about the $$$$
    Tempting to believe that, and I’m sure the drug companies are excited, but:

"You've already doubled your risk of cardiovascular complications compared to those with a normal level of blood pressure," said Paul K. Whelton, MB, MD, MSc, FACC, lead author of the guidelines. "We want to be straight with people – if you already have a doubling of risk, you need to know about it. It doesn't mean you need medication, but it's a yellow light that you need to be lowering your blood pressure, mainly with non-drug approaches."

The medical-industrial complex makes more money off you having a stroke or needing dialysis from untreated high blood pressure than they ever would from you taking cheap generic blood pressure meds for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by tbennett View Post
    Thread is relevant to my interests.

48 y/o, 6'0 and 208, started training NLP for probably the 4th time in January (stopped the other three times after various injuries outside of training, new babies, etc.). BP was 135/80, occasionally going up to 140/80 when I had too much coffee.

NLP has gotten me to squat 305, bench 210, dead 345, press 145, and 3 sets of 5 chins with 45 pounds added. I was ~200 when I started, so up ~8 pounds in 4 months.

And yet my BP this weekend while sitting around was 160/95. Yesterday it was 150/90 when I went to my doc, he stuck me on losartan.

This is worrisome since I lift 3x a week, eat pretty clean, don't smoke, waist is 34 inches, not particularly stressed, etc. I've never had good cardio, ever, so I wonder how much of a contribution that is (I could probably count the number of times I ran more than a mile in my life on one hand).

Curious to keep reading folks' experiences here...
    Don't feel bad, 62yo, 5'10", 193. Starting at age 19 I was told my BP was borderline at 140/90. Through all the years I ran 26-30 miles/wk, lifted weights, didn't lift or run, weighed 245, weighed 175, it was about 140/90. Doctors always were mildly concerned but not enough to do anything and I, not wanting to take pills, happily went along with that. Finally when I was 50 one doctor looked me straight in the eye and said, "You have high blood pressure." He wrote a script for 10mg/day lisinopril (a very cheap drug). That got me down to 120-125/65-75 where I have stayed until this day without having to increase the dose or add other drugs.

Thanks for the cheerful news ;-)

Checked this morning, 157/90, this is after I took the losartan last night before bed and before I had morning coffee. Not sure how much of an effect this stuff is supposed to have, although I have to include I had only ~5 hours of sleep due to a sick kid last night.

I see a lot of stroke patients in my job (neuropsychologist), both the big blow-outs as well as the more subtle chronic microvascular ischemia folks, and so yeah, this does light a fire under me...

I think I was at 165/105 when they told me I had high blood pressure. As I remember, I was having trouble seeing along with having a bit of a headache, so my wife took me to urgent care. They put me in for an MRI, thinking I had a stroke. Luckily for me, it was just a migraine, so they put me on metoprolol, a beta blocker. That didn't get me down far enough, so I went on lisinopril too. Unfortunately, I got a cough and a urinary tract infection from it, so they switched me to amlodipine instead. I'm now mostly at 135/85. That's a bit annoying still, as I work out pretty much six days a week and I ride my bike a lot. I'm about 14% body fat and I'm on a pretty decent diet. I've always watched my salt intake and I try to eat clean (potato chips rarely, almost no candy, one or two drinks a year, etc). I have to admit, I keep hearing about the Vertical Diet (Efferding is quite the marketer) and it makes me wonder if I shouldn't try an experiment and ramp up my salt intake...

I am not sure of the relevance of this, but any number of top heavyweight power lifters have had to end their careers and reduce their bodyweight, because of their rising blood pressure, presumably because of their increasing bodyweight.
    Pat Casey and Hugh Cassidy spring to mind.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm experiencing an increase in BP coinciding with weight gain. When my lifts stalled, I was advised to gain weight. At the time I weighed 220 and was squatting around 250. I started eating about 3,000 cal/day of quality food. Sure enough, over several months I got stronger as my weight grew to 238, like 285 squats, but my waist grew from 39" to 42", and my BP went from roughly 130/75 to as high as 160/92. Alarmed, and making the assumption that the rise in weight was causing the rise in BP, I decided to reduce intake, continue to train hard, and take a brisk walk daily. It has been about a week. I'm down 3lbs and getting readings in the 135/80 range. This is hardly enough evidence to make a case, but I'm optimistic it will turn out to be the right move, and allow me to resurrect a lot of my wardrobe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234