starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Venting on Medical Studies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not trolling, legit question. Who is Chris Beardsley and why should I care about any article he has published on Medium?

I know little about him, tbh. He seems to have published some peer-reviewed studies and to work as a coach (in Wales or England, UK, iirc). In keeping the theme "evidence over authority", it doesnt matter to me who he is: If you dont want to read the original scientific literature, imo he does a good job to collect and summarize the many studies out there in a comprehensible manner. Thats what I mentioned him in the post above about accessing scientific results if you dont like reading dry original journals (if you can, of course, Id recommend to do that).

On Medium, he doesnt reference the studies, but his twitter account is full of infographics (with references) about the same topics.

*co-authored, not published.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    To be “skeptical about science” as a general method for seeking truth is just foolish. To be skeptical about the specific work of specific scientists is quite wise, and is in fact part of how science works.
    I think we are in agreement here, jfsully.

In my second graf, I say: But there is a huge difference between science as a system/process and science as a guild/career. Credentials can simply be a sign that you did your time, and won't rock the boat rather than a sign that you are super smart or enlightened.

When I say "skeptical about science", I'm talking about the output, or the actual process followed, not the scientific method.

Anytime anybody says "the science is settled" it is a tipoff that they are more interested in defending the status quo than in uncovering the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    Your premise is wrong and your argument fails to support it. Do you do peer review of these studies?

Strength is general. Display of strength through a technique dependent movement is less so, particularly with a newb, but it's quite wrong to say strength is specific.

I never did a front squat until recently, but I've been LBB Squatting for years (I'm in the low 400s for reps). My son has been front squatting at his Jiu Jitsu instructor's suggestion. He was up to almost 2 plates for 5. I had no problem completing his weight + for the same number of reps. If you were correct that couldn't have happened.

You almost got correct that machine exercises reduce technique dependency to make strength measurement more accurate, but such exercises are a suboptimal way to increase strength themselves, and therefore a suboptimal way to run a study.
    Even Stuart Phillips......excercise and sports nutrition scientist extaordinaire admitted as such on one of his YouTube talks. Methodology issues and not surprisingly funding.

Quote Originally Posted by BPJ View Post
    I think we are in agreement here, jfsully.

Anytime anybody says "the science is settled" it is a tipoff that they are more interested in defending the status quo than in uncovering the truth.
    I think so too.

But I also think that in many cases the science is settled *enough* that we can depend on it for practical purposes. I do agree that it is best to be skeptical toward people who are defensive about skepticism, but we also should not be nihilistic and simply dismiss any science that does not conform to our own biases and opinions.

Mary Ann > Ginger

Science = Settled

Quote Originally Posted by BPJ View Post

1. Mary Ann > Ginger

2. Science = Settled
    1. Absolutely!

2. Depends on if $ and politics put a thumb on the scale.

BUT! I need to add one more.

3. Bailey Quarters > Loni Anderson

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    1. Absolutely!

2. Depends on if $ and politics put a thumb on the scale.

BUT! I need to add one more.

3. Bailey Quarters > Loni Anderson
    You, sir, are a man of refined taste.

This Jan Smithers (Bailey Quarters) Newsweek cover from 1966 is great.009.jpg

And this Dawn Wells photo has ended a lot of arguments. il_570xN.1139197999_m4m9.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123