starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early morning workout

Default Early morning workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all

I'm new to the forum, and really pleased to see a section that covers the "older generation". I am 63 and have been working out for about 2 years, but using a cable machine and some dumbbells bought for me by my son. It has helped immensely in getting me into a routine of working out. However, having stumbled across the Starting Strength book and currently reading The Barbell Prescription, I am very keen to move to a proper set up ( Power Rack and Barbells). It occurs to me that if I am lucky enough to be able to progress at the rate some of you have posted about, I know my strength will increase, but it will still put stress / pressure on my system ( heart etc), which I know is for the good.

My question is about the time of day for working out. When I worked (I am now retired), I had to be at work for 06.00, and so was up generally at 04.00. This has continued into retirement, as my wife and I are both morning people. So on the 3 days I work out, I am usually starting at 06.00. I feel pretty good (the couple of cups of coffee really help), but I have seen a number of reports that the vast majority of heart attacks occur in the early morning rather than later in the day. I don't have any current medical problems (apart from Arthritis in my knees), and I'm not on any prescribed medications. The only tablets I take are fish oil and a multivitamin.

However, it still concerns me if working out early is an issue, particularly when I start lifting heavier weights. I was just wondering what the thoughts of the forum might be on this? For those of you who work out early, has this ever been something to give concern, or am I just worrying about a non issue?

thanks

I'm 67 and have been retired for two years now. Like you, I got up early to git er done in the gym when I was working. It helped wake me up and get me energized for the day. This went on for decades. I sleep in now, enjoy a leisurely breakfast with my Dearly Beloved and get into the gym between 9-11.

I don't see any problem with morning workouts. For me, I try not to get any exercise after 5 because it tends to keep me awake too long at night afterwards. So the evenings I teach Jujitsu, I have to self medicate with some PЇЙИДҪLԐ ҪЊЭДP-ДSS ЩФDҠД to decompress.

Welcome aboard, MWMan. I believe this forum has the strongest group of lifters over the age of 50 to be found anywhere.
    I'm not a morning person at all for lifting weights. I prefer to train in the early afternoon. I'll be 57 in August. No prescription meds.

Stay Strong!

I usually work out in the afternoons since I work however I'll be retiring in a few months. I suspect it will go something like this: wake around 6AM - prayer time and meditation until 7 pour myself my cold brew coffee and then get my work out in. I like to get things done and I hate missing a training day so if I do it first then if something comes up during the day I haven't missed training.

Quote Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
    I have seen a number of reports that the vast majority of heart attacks occur in the early morning rather than later in the day.
    I have read that increased risk of strokes/heart attacks in the morning could be caused by dehydration. Drink lots of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    So the evenings I teach Jujitsu, I have to self medicate with some PЇЙИДҪLԐ ҪЊЭДP-ДSS ЩФDҠД to decompress.
    Haha good one - had me scratching my head for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Welcome aboard, MWMan. I believe this forum has the strongest group of lifters over the age of 50 to be found anywhere.
    I'm not a morning person at all for lifting weights. I prefer to train in the early afternoon. I'll be 57 in August. No prescription meds.

Stay Strong!
    Thanks - yes everywhere else I look on the internet seems to be targeted at 20 somethings. I think I'm going to enjoy this group!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McGarrey View Post
    I have read that increased risk of strokes/heart attacks in the morning could be caused by dehydration. Drink lots of water.
    My problem is I am too hydrated, if that's possible. My wife and I drink continuously through the day, Milk, water, tea and Coffee, and of course protein shakes; but its the high vegetable diet that has me peeing a lot during the day (not a problem), but I'm having to get up a couple of times in the night as well. Not the usual prostate issues for guys of my age, as I'm peeing like a race horse. (unfortunately not quite as well endowed). My blood sugar is normal, so at least its not type 2 diabetes causing it!!

Hello MWMan,

I am a relative spring chicken at a whisker under 50, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. Wait, is that good for your heart?

I wake up at 6:00, and I'm on the platform before 6:30 (I train at home). I don't take breakfast before training, which I thought would be a problem, but it's not, at least for me. I do drink a glass of water as soon as I wake up, and keep drinking quit ea bit throughout the session, and after that.
    In my experience, training in the morning is feasible.
    Having said that, I tend to leave my PR attempts, rare thought they might be, for the afternoon sessions (especially for fast lifts, don't know if you will be doing them).

All the best for your training.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello MWMan,

I am a relative spring chicken at a whisker under 50, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. Wait, is that good for your heart?

I wake up at 6:00, and I'm on the platform before 6:30 (I train at home). I don't take breakfast before training, which I thought would be a problem, but it's not, at least for me. I do drink a glass of water as soon as I wake up, and keep drinking quit ea bit throughout the session, and after that.
    In my experience, training in the morning is feasible.
    Having said that, I tend to leave my PR attempts, rare thought they might be, for the afternoon sessions (especially for fast lifts, don't know if you will be doing them).

All the best for your training.

IPB
    It’s great if you have the flexibility to choose workout times. There’s empirical and scientific evidence based on circadian rhthym and chronotype for late afternoon workouts, coming from Salk Institute and others. This has merit.

Art Devaney....an interesting resource for our age group chooses late morning.

I still work at 65...SS gym hours evening so convenient.

When you are young much easier to go against the circadian clocks.....older, better to ride the wind of diurnal cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    When you are young much easier to go against the circadian clocks.....older, better to ride the wind of diurnal cycles if at all possible.
    Otherwise, you just train when you can. After all, I think sub-optimal but possible beats optimal but impossible.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    It’s great if you have the flexibility to choose workout times. There’s empirical and scientific evidence based on circadian rhthym and chronotype for late afternoon workouts, coming from Salk Institute and others. This has merit.

Art Devaney....an interesting resource for our age group chooses late morning.

I still work at 65...SS gym hours evening so convenient.

When you are young much easier to go against the circadian clocks.....older, better to ride the wind of diurnal cycles.
    Art Devaney. An interesting guy indeed. I happened across him right before stumbling onto SS. Another opinionated and strong personality. Not quite as STEM evidence as SS, and with some quirks of it's own. Just like it's originator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast