starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Stronger vs Aging

Default Getting Stronger vs Aging

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've been wondering at what point aging overcomes training progress. I doubt that I can keep getting stronger forever, AND, I'm getting older.

Background. Started lifting at age 71, currently 72 1/2. 6' 4" tall, weight 235 lbs. Current programming is a 3 day per week HLM program from Andy Baker that I've been following for about 8 months with success. Overall numbers aren't overwhelming but I'm still pushing weekly PRs. Current Squat is 265 (x3 reps), bench 185 (x5 reps), deadlift 285 (x3 reps). Each weekly "heavy day" I increase by 1 rep from 3 reps up to a max of 5 reps, then add 5 lbs @ 3 reps the next week. Slow but steady progress without getting too beat up. 2-3 back off sets after the heavy work set. OHP is temporarily on hold following medical advice to allow inflammation from a torn labrum to go away (very slowly, I might add).

I've not yet found what my limits on the lifts are, so I'm plugging away, making steady progress. I'm conscious of getting older, not in a worrisome way, but I'm wondering when/if the effects of aging will begin to reduce the capacity for lifting, curious to see when/where I will max out.

Are there studies that address this issue? Dr. Sully?

Studies be damned I say. Just keep lifting and never place limits on yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by misterponytail View Post
    Studies be damned I say. Just keep lifting and never place limits on yourself!
    ^ This. Boldly go where no man has gone before!!

Default Aging AND Getting Stronger

I'm few years behind you, but I'm impressed.

Just turned 55 last month. Been training since May of last year. I've wondered about that question myself. This thread topic got me to thinking about his again. But you know what? After some thought I decided it doesn't matter. I'm going to train until I can't. Whatever limits there are I hope I am always approaching them and that I never actually know where they are. If the limits decrease because of biology, I still plan to always be approaching them.

Hi Bill,

I think at some point training 'just' becomes a tool to stave off decline, and reduce its downward slope. Even if eventually your numbers start to decline, you should compare them not with what they were in your prime, but with what they would have been, had you never trained at all.

Stay strong,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Puckett View Post
    So I've been wondering at what point aging overcomes training progress.

Are there studies that address this issue? Dr. Sully?
    The way I look at it, YOU are the study, and so am I and all the other geezers here. We're a special population due to motivation, time, and good fortune to find Rippetoe. Let's push the inflection point hard to the right!

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi Bill,

I think at some point training 'just' becomes a tool to stave off decline, and reduce its downward slope. Even if eventually your numbers start to decline, you should compare them not with what they were in your prime, but with what they would have been, had you never trained at all.

Stay strong,

IPB
    Yeah, I'm afraid I am nearing that point in my life. I got a nice boost in efforts after getting my form cleaned up in an SS seminar in 2012, and went on to do well up until last year or so. Coupled with longer recovery time needed for my lower back, getting sick, and getting injured I'm constantly trying to regain past ground in the gym. It's a little chastening, but I am down for the struggle.

OR:

All aboard the struggle bus, as Our Daughter likes to quip.

Im only 51. Just 40 years ago, lifting weights was uncommon for the general population. My father was a distance runner. Ultramarathons. He ran across the everglades when i was a littke kid in the late 60’s or early 70’s. He had just gotten home from vietnam so i guess he was looking for something to keep his edge along with tae kwon do. By the time I was in my teens and my dad was pushing 40 i know that my dad was the only father i knew of who still ran. He ran slower and he used a ski machine in the house sometimes. But at that time, almost no-one in their 40’s or after did any kind of exercise. Now we lived in the country in a small neighborhood and our town was somewhat isolated sonit may have been different in larger areas. But when i came back from college and joined the only black iron gym in town, it was in a basement and i was usually the only person there. That town has a golds gym and a couple main street fitness facilities and two crossfit facilities.
    I dare say that times have changed and almost any study you find is either based on bullshit like “resistance” training that doesnt actually get close to real lifting, or has a sample size so small that you cant make good use of it for statistical reference.
    As was said, you are the study. You are out there breaking trail for guys like me to follow. When people tell me i shouldnt lift weights or squat or deadlift ( most dont say that because im stronger than they are) i am going to start saying “ Bill Puckett does it and he is 20 years older than i am”.

Keep hitting those PR’s

Bill

Sully uses that program you described with our 91 year old gentleman. He keeps making progress. I think if there is a limit you have a few years to go.

I started with Sully 5 years ago at age 66. At 71 I'm still making some PRs. Some take a year and a half. Some take slightly less. I intend to keep at it until I can't.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    As was said, you are the study. You are out there breaking trail for guys like me to follow. When people tell me i shouldnt lift weights or squat or deadlift ( most dont say that because im stronger than they are) i am going to start saying “ Bill Puckett does it and he is 20 years older than i am”.

Keep hitting those PR’s
    This is fantastic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast