starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Stronger vs Aging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Puckett View Post
    So I've been wondering at what point aging overcomes training progress. I doubt that I can keep getting stronger forever, AND, I'm getting older.

Background. Started lifting at age 71, currently 72 1/2. 6' 4" tall, weight 235 lbs. Current programming is a 3 day per week HLM program from Andy Baker that I've been following for about 8 months with success. Overall numbers aren't overwhelming but I'm still pushing weekly PRs. Current Squat is 265 (x3 reps), bench 185 (x5 reps), deadlift 285 (x3 reps). Each weekly "heavy day" I increase by 1 rep from 3 reps up to a max of 5 reps, then add 5 lbs @ 3 reps the next week. Slow but steady progress without getting too beat up. 2-3 back off sets after the heavy work set. OHP is temporarily on hold following medical advice to allow inflammation from a torn labrum to go away (very slowly, I might add).

I've not yet found what my limits on the lifts are, so I'm plugging away, making steady progress. I'm conscious of getting older, not in a worrisome way, but I'm wondering when/if the effects of aging will begin to reduce the capacity for lifting, curious to see when/where I will max out.

Are there studies that address this issue? Dr. Sully?
    Bill, you've made amazing progress and you deserve to be proud, but you're looking to be told that there's a point where you can be content with what you've accomplished. The answer is no. Keep doing what you're doing. Always work to put more weight on the bar. It won't always be the case that you are going to set lifetime PR's, but it will always be the case that you have to plan to improve incrementally. The endpoint of the journey is marked with a nicely engraved piece of masonry, not a pre-determined age or weight on the barbell.

I sure agree with IPB. I got back to training almost 4 years ago after a few years away. I made some initial progress, but looking back at my log book not any in the last 3 years as far as weight lifted. I will say my body composition seems to have improved so that's a plus. Besides seeing how much strength I lost.during the time I didn't train I can only imagine how much weaker I would have gotten as my age creeps up towards 70.

We talk about this in BBRx, page 222.

Bottom line: don't stop trying to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    We talk about this in BBRx, page 222.

Bottom line: don't stop trying to get stronger.
    I have noticed on your videos that many older clients are poster children for sartorial splendor in the gym. I particularly like the knee straps that you wear as do many of your clients (at least on video anyway). What are those particular straps and why are they used? Is it only for folks with knee issues, or perhaps is it something applicable to seniors as a "rule"?

They use them if they need them. A lot of us have creaky knees, and knee wraps help.

They use them if they need them. A lot of us have creaky knees, and knee wraps help.
    Yes, this. Especially early in the process and in cold garage gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Bill, you've made amazing progress and you deserve to be proud, but you're looking to be told that there's a point where you can be content with what you've accomplished. The answer is no. Keep doing what you're doing. Always work to put more weight on the bar. It won't always be the case that you are going to set lifetime PR's, but it will always be the case that you have to plan to improve incrementally. The endpoint of the journey is marked with a nicely engraved piece of masonry, not a pre-determined age or weight on the barbell.
    this

Yes, but it also helps to look good . My rare appearances in the local big box gym (convenient) , now with the accoutrement of a belt, got me shout outs and kudos from the (much younger) "bros". If you have to get older, you should at least command some respect.

Big belts, knee wraps, and proper shoes, especially red ones, are mandatory. I didn't know that when I bought my black Do Wins but for everything else I pass the test.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Big belts, knee wraps, and proper shoes, especially red ones, are mandatory. I didn't know that when I bought my black Do Wins but for everything else I pass the test.
    I have the black Do Wins......necessary for my wide feet. No bling however.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast