starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retiring Soon - More Time to Lift - Change up Program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
    33 work days after today and I retire from public education.
    Congrats!

I also retired from Public Education. You might enjoy not being sick from the kid's colds and flus all the time in retirement too! I thought I'd
    go back as a volunteer but then realized that I hadn't been sick in months for the lst time in 20 years so, never did.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I’m 60 and will be retiring after 37 years on July 1st. This is going to give me more time for lots of things! One of them of course is strength training. I’m wondering if I should look into changing up my program since I will have more time for perhaps greater gains but I also don’t want to mess with success. I started using the Barbell Prescription four day Heavy-Light program 1st of January. It’s a three week cycle of 5s, 3s, and 1s. I use it for the bench press, overhead press, squat, dead lift and I do throw chin ups in there as well twice a week. I’ve been getting gains of anywhere from 1 to 3lbs on each lift every week since then which is awesome. What I’m wondering is should I try out a Heavy-Light-Medium program that is also spoken of in the book? Perhaps the gains I’m getting is about as good as it gets which if true is fine with me as if I can string out those gains over a year that is really nice progress. One of the things I notice in the book is that for those 60 and older discretion is advised with an H-L-M program. Thoughts?

I am signed up for a Squat camp in my area in May. That should be really interesting as the one lift that has me stumped is the squat. I’m sure I have issues with form but I also think it’s a mind game that I don’t have issues with on the other lifts. I’ve been making progress on that lift under the H-L but not as fast as the other lifts.
    I think any major change in programming usually interupts progression for a while. So one might be better of with just continue with a program that works until it doesnt. Then its time to switch, but I still work fulltime at 66, so I dont know how my program would progress after pension. I noticed while Im on vacation during summer that I usually sleep better and can train more often. So instead of a 14days period I might do 10-12 days periods. I do a program with H-L 4-day split.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12