starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard work and lifting

Default Yard work and lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Now that it is spring, how do you handle heavy yard work and lifting. I've been digging dirt and raking my yard for two days and I don't have the energy to train too. I'm planning on taking the rest of the week off and hopefully getting the hardest part of the yard work finished.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sweeties View Post
    Now that it is spring, how do you handle heavy yard work and lifting. I've been digging dirt and raking my yard for two days and I don't have the energy to train too. I'm planning on taking the rest of the week off and hopefully getting the hardest part of the yard work finished.
    I found if I do yard work first it messes up my training session. So I train first and then I do yard work. Sometimes that means I don't get it all done but that's okay I got the 1st priority first. I can come back the next couple of days and finish up any yard work I didn't manage to do. I also find I usually can get all the yard work done even if I train first but not the other way around.

I got it completely. That shit is strenuous and not easy. Albeit trying to call it anything like worthwhile is a waste of time to those who seem not to have undertaken it and tried to measure what effect it can have. https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1674284

Following the discussion down seems to illustrate a lack of home ownership and manual labor in their lives.

BTW, after this extended Winter (finally!) having come to an end down South here, we need to plan a trip to PA to shoot a particular ground hog.

Mowing the yard and picking up twigs is a breeze, but he should try carry bags of mulch, stone work, and digging dirt. I have a fitbit and he shows I'm doing a cardio workout. LOL

No kidding, huh? Urbanites with postage stamp lots and micro-lawns have no idea.

That is so true. My vegetable garden is pry as big as some of their yards.

In a way, I understand their cluelessness. DB and I never owned a home when we lived back here in Illinois. Hence, we didn't know what that entailed other than a somewhat idea of me mowing my parents' multi-acre lawn with almost no trees and no landscaping on it.

We then lived in the very urban stretch of the South Bay in SoCal along the beach, where lots were small and expensive. Once again, no trees compounded with no grass of any note to mow either.

So we moved back here, with 2 1/2 acres and over a dozen trees, a drainage ditch to the lake we live next to that needs to be cleared out and maintained, along with other sundry things that need doing. Granted, not a lotta land by local standards, but waaay more than many here can comprehend just what kind of effort and work is required to keep the homestead looking respectable.

Bottom line with many devotees here seems to be, if you aren't following strict SS conditioning and strength doctrine, you are less than worthy if you think that it has any value in terms of how hard it hits your cardiovascular system. Granted, it's hard if not impossible to quantify in terms of strength training, but a few hours or even slightly less of even moderately strenuous labor have some positive effects.

Mighty big assumptions there guys. I disagreed with Mark in the other thread, I live in an urban area and my yard is 11 acres. I do all of the yard work myself.

I do yard work after lifting and regular cardio (run, cycle or mtn bike). I like to do all three on the same day on the weekend because I sleep really good those nights.

OK then.

Do you monitor your heart rate on your lifting, your specifically labelled cardio activity, and finally your yard work?

What are the average heart rates and levels you reach on those?

Or is your account about superior total work capacity rather than something else?

Metrics. Got any?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK then.

Do you monitor your heart rate on your lifting, your specifically labelled cardio activity, and finally your yard work?

What are the average heart rates and levels you reach on those?

Or is your account about superior total work capacity rather than something else?

Metrics. Got any?
    I use the HR monitor every time I am on the bike or running. I have used it when lifting and during yard work but don't use it any longer.

Metrics:
    1) Lifting - weight on the bar so 1rm for the 4 main lifts.
    2) Cardio - body fat percentage and weight on the scale
    3) Yard work - curb appeal

For the past 2 years, I have tried to use eating and cardio to build the body that I want. I have learned that if you want to get under 15% bf, you need have a training plan...just like getting stronger. If yard work was a significant contributor to metric #2, I wouldn't need so much additional cardio in my life to stay at or under 15%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast