starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Prescription & Learning the Lifts

Default Barbell Prescription & Learning the Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi There,

A coworker is interested in barbell training to prevent osteopenia and to correct posture. She is 50, ~6'3", and would make a twig look sturdy.

Does The Barbell Prescription cover movement forms in-depth enough for a complete newbie? Should she also get a copy of Starting Strength?

Thanks

-Doug

In order to get introduced to good form and movement, get the current edition of Starting Strength. Get the form down first.

The programming most appropriate for older people is contained in the Barbell Prescription.

Thanks Mark.

Glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    In order to get introduced to good form and movement, get the current edition of Starting Strength. Get the form down first.

The programming most appropriate for older people is contained in the Barbell Prescription.
    Great advice. Also if she has a SS coach anywhere near her it can really help to at least get initial coaching on the lifts. Some places offer like a 6 session pack to get some initial coaching. I did this but not right away and I wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Great advice. Also if she has a SS coach anywhere near her it can really help to at least get initial coaching on the lifts. Some places offer like a 6 session pack to get some initial coaching. I did this but not right away and I wish I had.
    I'm in Houston. I've advised her to see Andy Baker or Randy Winfrey on a semi-regular basis at a minimum for form correction.

Quote Originally Posted by dshannon89 View Post
    I'm in Houston. I've advised her to see Andy Baker or Randy Winfrey on a semi-regular basis at a minimum for form correction.
    Tell her to email me at kingwoodstrength@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by dshannon89 View Post
    Hi There,
    A coworker is interested in barbell training to prevent osteopenia and to correct posture. She is 50, ~6'3", and would make a twig look sturdy.
    Does The Barbell Prescription cover movement forms in-depth enough for a complete newbie? Should she also get a copy of Starting Strength?
    Thanks
    -Doug
    Besides Starting Strength (the book), I'd also recommend her to watch the coaching videos. I got a ton of useful guidance from Rip via the videos. They are on this site under "Videos/Lifts." BUT, on the squat, take note of this 2017 modification to how he teaches the grip, to prevent elbow pain:
    YouTube -- because the original squat video needs this "clarification."

starting strength coach development program
    Oops - got a wrong link in the previous post, somehow. The link I put in that post is to a different squat/grip video. This is the 2017 one I meant: YouTube
    Both are useful, but this one is the most current video teaching on the site, I think.