starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinner right leg

Default Thinner right leg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 63 (6'1" and 185 lbs) and have been working out for about 2 years, making slow progress (but progress). I have suffered with arthritis of the right knee for many years. If you look at the two knees you can clearly see the right one is larger than the left. More striking however, is that since I have started to put some muscle on my legs from squatting and dead lifts, it is noticeable how much thinner the right leg is compared to the left. Over the years I have obviously been favouring the left leg.

I assume that if I continue to squat and dead lift the legs will grow in size at the same rate and one will always look thinner than the other. Do I need to do some right leg only exercise to even up the size, or just keep doing the squats and dead lifts, hoping that they will balance out?

Thanks

If one leg is lagging, it will be working relatively harder when you do the barbell lifts with correct form. Their appearance should even out somewhat over time ("somewhat" since everyone is asymmetrical, and some moreso than others).

This question has been addressed many times on the board, so if you need more information, try giving a search.

Thanks - I'll have a search through.

Welcome.

Been there, done that. Yes, SSLP will even up the strength, and in my case virtually rid me of arthritis symptoms.

However, many years of bad habits need a little tuning. I'm 64, began SSLP at 62, but my injury occurred 45 years prior. It did not rid me of years of bad habits.

So, 4 and a half decades of habits "favoring" my weak leg and making it weaker. Walk looking in the mirror or video yourself. Walk straight, better posture. Stairs should use better form, not sideways (or backwards like I used to). Slow down, do it right, more like your for in the squat, and even from side to side. Especially focus on keeping weight on your heels, like you were instructed in the squat.

Trust me, I know this isn't easy, but before, it wasn't even an option. Now it is. Use your body as God intended. Video yourself walking and on stairs... it will be instructive.

As for assistance exercises to "even things", I have 45 years of failure trying that, and two years of success doing SSLP and focusing on cleaning up my posture. Your call.

Good luck either way.

Good advice - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Welcome.

Been there, done that. Yes, SSLP will even up the strength, and in my case virtually rid me of arthritis symptoms.

However, many years of bad habits need a little tuning. I'm 64, began SSLP at 62, but my injury occurred 45 years prior. It did not rid me of years of bad habits.

So, 4 and a half decades of habits "favoring" my weak leg and making it weaker. Walk looking in the mirror or video yourself. Walk straight, better posture. Stairs should use better form, not sideways (or backwards like I used to). Slow down, do it right, more like your for in the squat, and even from side to side. Especially focus on keeping weight on your heels, like you were instructed in the squat.

Trust me, I know this isn't easy, but before, it wasn't even an option. Now it is. Use your body as God intended. Video yourself walking and on stairs... it will be instructive.

As for assistance exercises to "even things", I have 45 years of failure trying that, and two years of success doing SSLP and focusing on cleaning up my posture. Your call.

Good luck either way.
    Thanks. I was coming on here looking for similar advice. I snapped a lateral ligament in my right ankle aged 7 and only had the surgery to repair it 5 years ago (I'm 52 now).

I've only been using the starting strength programme for a few weeks and feel that as I'm increasing weight it's my strong leg that's taking the weight. I've been subtly adjusting for recurrent sprains in my right ankle all my life (leading to it having far less muscle than the left - it's almost as if I discovered my right adductors on my first squats) and I guess I need to look at my form, but it's pretty hard (I'm doing it all in my basement on my own in France). Maybe staying at lower weights will help in the short term, but I'll have a search through the archives for any pertinent information.

I don't think we have a coach in France at least yet. However, you can get online SS coaching if you wish. It could make a world of difference for you. Take a look at the onlne coaching option.

Shared album - mike schaefer - Google Photos
    The picture shows my sorry-ass left calf in contrast to my right. I had a full Achilles tendon rupture at the heel 20+ years ago, and despite the ability to squat 300lbs last year at 64, you can see the left calf never regained size. I consciously do not let myself limp or favor it, but there's a certain wobble when I'm squatting that doesn't seem to want to go away.
    You can get strong, but your potential as a male model will be as compromised as mine was. Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I don't think we have a coach in France at least yet. However, you can get online SS coaching if you wish. It could make a world of difference for you. Take a look at the onlne coaching option.
    I've got the 3 books, but there's nothing about recovery from such ailments. Does the coaching go into that?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Shared album - mike schaefer - Google Photos
    The picture shows my sorry-ass left calf in contrast to my right. I had a full Achilles tendon rupture at the heel 20+ years ago, and despite the ability to squat 300lbs last year at 64, you can see the left calf never regained size. I consciously do not let myself limp or favor it, but there's a certain wobble when I'm squatting that doesn't seem to want to go away.
    You can get strong, but your potential as a male model will be as compromised as mine was. Bummer!
    Damn, that's my career aspirations up the swanny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast