starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Geezer shoulders, squats and hard massage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I expect that I will learn a great deal when I meet with Sully on Friday. Thanks for the information.

BTW I haven't read much about your experiences with Southern Illinois living. How's it working out. Quite a change, I suspect.

BTW Do you plan to come north for the Fall Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I expect that I will learn a great deal when I meet with Sully on Friday. Thanks for the information.

BTW I haven't read much about your experiences with Southern Illinois living. How's it working out. Quite a change, I suspect.
    You're welcome. Us old guys gotta stick together.

Carson, I am LOVING it down here. We have 2 1/2 acres on a private lake and a pool in the back yard. Lots of trees around the house to shade it during the heat of the day. The pace is far more relaxed than in SoCal, and the people are friendly and well mannered. Just like most of the people in Northern rural Illinois I grew up around. I am teaching Jujitsu to a few students at the local park district and this week am getting worn to a frazzle with some kids at a 5 day Summer camp herding a recalcitrant flock of kittens. The gym I go to is the Southern Illinois University Rec Center, and the best equipped facility in terms of both free weights and a dizzying array of cardio equipment I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    BTW Do you plan to come north for the Fall Classic?
    I decided to leave competitive powerlifting behind last Spring and now train for the Highland Games. But let me think about coming up to the Classic. It would be good to meet up with like minded people.

Oh and then there's this I saw this on the way home from the grocery store tonight.

3 Point Buck.jpg

Along the way, I saw probably 10 other deer, not including a doe with twin fawns, and 4 wild turkey hens.

Man do I love this place!

Back to the shoulders issue. I went to a local gym today. I did some HIIT work but mostly focused on shoulder stretches and machine work on the posterior delts. While working with the dumbbells I learned something that surprised me. While I’ve worked almost exclusively with barbells and thought that it would more or less even out my strength on the left side with the right I found that I could raise the right dumbbell quite easily using a 15 lb. weight but could only lift a 5 lb. weight for the left side. This tells me that I will continue to work with these. (I think I’ll jump each side up a bit next time.) Moreover, when trying the squat with a straight bar I was able to force the bar down to a high bar position and actually squat, probably not quite to depth, but squat. I really did not hurt…too much. I did this with an empty bar and then with 65 lbs. It’s a start.

Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Good luck with that.
    Will you be joining us in Evanston for the Fall Classic?

I would love to, but atm I am unable to do any major lift. Hopefully resolved soon

Stop by an watch us and meet some of the lifters.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes. Do that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast