starting strength gym

Thread: 61 year old female lifter who has been lifting for 20 years

Default 61 year old female lifter who has been lifting for 20 years

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started "powerlifting" style of training several months ago. My age is 61, weight 150, height 5'7". I downloaded the app and have been following the program 2 to 3 days a week. I am completely flogged after a training session. I work as a massage therapist 3 days a week and that also fatigues me. I recently bought the Barbell Prescription and was thinking of doing the 2 day split until winter hits when it becomes slow season and I will have more time. Deadlifting and squatting on the same days is very hard. My highest DL before starting this was 165, squat was around 150 for a single. Right now I am struggling with 3 sets of 5 at 115 lbs!!! What am I doing wrong? Should I break up the squat and DL? Would 5/3/1 be better for me. Any other oldies out there for some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. Youve come to the right place, and you are here for the right reasons. In addition to the Barbell Prescritpn, you should also read the book "Starting Strength" to make sure your fundamentals are sound. Also, listen to Rip: he's not warm and cuddly in his responses to questions about training, but he is always correct.

Softhans, I was also 61 when I started lifting 6 years ago. I’m still at it. Read the article rip linked to. The hardest part for me was the eating. After a lifetime of watching my weight, it was very hard to try to gain weight and accept the fat growing around my waist. However, it’s just for the length of your Novice phase and maybe a month or so into an intermediate program. Then you can go on a diet and knock off the fluff you added while gaining your novice strength. It’s very important to keep up your lifting when you go on that diet. You won’t make much strength progress but you will maintain the muscle and strength you gained. Once you have reached your target body composisition you can start making progress again on an intermediate lifting program and keep the weight off with only a moderate calorie surplus and some aerobics. For now just eat a lot, sleep and do your 3 work outs a week. Being 61, at some point as the lifts get heavy you should move to only 2 workouts a week.