starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back pain

Default Lower back pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Near my work set weight, I find that my lower back hurts from just having the bar loaded on my back, before I even begin the movement.

Is there anything to be done about this?

Assuming you have no back issues you've neglected to mention, get tight, keep your form right, and work through it. In two weeks you'll wonder why you posted this. We've all had a moment like this. Keep going!

Are you wearing a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you wearing a belt?
    No Sir. I will, though, if that is recommended.

It is recommended if you have back pain.

Thanks for all the feedback; it is greatly appreciated.

Over the years, i have hurt my back a few times. All probably related. Herniated disk 10 years ago but that was probably related to earlier injuries. Sometimes, when I lift the bar out of the rack my back will feel a twinge. I usually stand there for a moment and it passes. Then i do my set. It has become something that i can feel and work thru. And usually my back feels better after my workout.
    There are days where i wake up hurting and hurt all day and still train that night. There are days where it hurts and I prescribe myself an additional day of rest. You kind of learn to judge the discomfort and know when you can push thru it. But the only way to know that is to train when everything isnt perfect.
    And a belt definately helps. I start my warmups without it but put the belt on at 185. Thats just me.

Related to belt is the issue of tightness. I have frequently observed the error of unracking the bar and walking it out without a big valsalva, all loosey-goosey. Remember, unracking the bar is like the zeroth rep of the set--you have to be just as tight and full of big air as any heavy rep. Ditto the walk out.

starting strength coach development program
    It's difficult to over emphasise the need to be tight and squeezing down when getting the bar out of the rack. On every other movement of the 4 main lifts it is more automatic, but walking out the weight is treated as an addendum to doing the squat rather than an integral part of the movement. I've also learned that every warm up weight, even the empty bar, must be treated exactly the same as the heaviest set. If the squat movement began in the hole at the bottom of the lift, then it would be absolutely necessary to get really tight and take a valsalva-but walking the bar out we get sloppy and that can mean injury.